PDA

View Full Version : changing gears

Trailjunkie
12-28-2009, 11:33 PM
probaly a stupid question but hear goes. my heep has 355's in my dana 30 fr and 35 rear. i have a dana 30 and 35 with 410's . can i put the cariers and pinion's with 410 in my diff 's or is there a problem with that other than changing the couvers? :confused0006:
anyone got insight ?
im just trying to do as little work to swap these as possible being a lazy ass.[16] .

Ironman
12-28-2009, 11:39 PM
when i had mine and did the same, i just swapped the diffs. was only a few hours and didnt have to worry about setting gears up.

Bushwack
12-28-2009, 11:44 PM
swap the axles! Faster , Easier , cheeper

D-Ass
12-28-2009, 11:46 PM
[stupid]:D

Trailjunkie
12-28-2009, 11:47 PM
the front im putting in a assie so i have to tear down anyways. rear i just rebuilt so was hopping to reuse. uno

Hello Kitty
12-28-2009, 11:48 PM
i usually push in on the clutch when changing gears. if it makes noise just turn up the stereo.

[cheers]

Ironman
12-28-2009, 11:49 PM
i thought the aussie you just remove the spiders? you wouldnt need to re-set the gears

Trailjunkie
12-28-2009, 11:51 PM
the ring gear is totaly in the way of removing the pin

Tunabomber
12-28-2009, 11:51 PM
best to wait for the jeep god to read this

pageing mikey

Nutbar
12-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Not to try to make this confusing for you but here is some info

For a dana 30 there is 3 different housing/gear types.

There is the low pinion housing with long pinion shaft. Used in CJs and early ZJ grand cherokees, 93-96 IIRC

There is the low pinion with short pinion shaft. Used in Grand Cherokee's after 96, in the TJs, 2000-2002 XJs,

And there is the high pinion dana 30, used in pre 2000 XJs, MJs, YJs

The carrier is the same for all housings but there is a gear ratio split 3.55 and down is one carrier and 3.73 and up is a different carrier

So as long as the 2 axle assemblies are of the same type, in your case they need to be both high pinion assemblies, then yes you can change the gears between housings but you will need to use all the 4.10 ring, pinion, and carrier. Also it will need to be shimmed properly for gear pattern

Now for the dana 35 . . . There is 2 types of 35s as well there is the early non C clip axles, 89 and prior, and there is the later C clip axles, 90 and newer.

You can use a C clip carrier in a non C clip housing but you cannot use a non C clip carrier in a C clip housing. There is no provision for the C clip retainer in the non C clip carrier.

There is also a gear split on the dana 35. 3.31 and down is one carrier and 3.55 and up is the other carrier.

So again yes you can change the gears, and in your case here you would not need to change your existing carrier, only the ring and pinion and again you would still need to shim/set up gear pattern

Nutbar
12-29-2009, 12:02 AM
best to wait for the jeep god to read this

pageing mikey

Was already typing Tuna[cheers]

OldEnuff
12-29-2009, 02:00 AM
the ring gear is totaly in the way of removing the pin

So you have to remove the ring gear while the carrier is still in the diff housing in order to pull an axle ?????????????

I must not be understanding what you said :dontknow:

Trailjunkie
12-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Not to try to make this confusing for you but here is some info

For a dana 30 there is 3 different housing/gear types.

There is the low pinion housing with long pinion shaft. Used in CJs and early ZJ grand cherokees, 93-96 IIRC

There is the low pinion with short pinion shaft. Used in Grand Cherokee's after 96, in the TJs, 2000-2002 XJs,

And there is the high pinion dana 30, used in pre 2000 XJs, MJs, YJs

The carrier is the same for all housings but there is a gear ratio split 3.55 and down is one carrier and 3.73 and up is a different carrier

So as long as the 2 axle assemblies are of the same type, in your case they need to be both high pinion assemblies, then yes you can change the gears between housings but you will need to use all the 4.10 ring, pinion, and carrier. Also it will need to be shimmed properly for gear pattern

Now for the dana 35 . . . There is 2 types of 35s as well there is the early non C clip axles, 89 and prior, and there is the later C clip axles, 90 and newer.

You can use a C clip carrier in a non C clip housing but you cannot use a non C clip carrier in a C clip housing. There is no provision for the C clip retainer in the non C clip carrier.

There is also a gear split on the dana 35. 3.31 and down is one carrier and 3.55 and up is the other carrier.

So again yes you can change the gears, and in your case here you would not need to change your existing carrier, only the ring and pinion and again you would still need to shim/set up gear patternthanks mike. your the man.
the plan was to just swap the intire carrier and pinion on both.
I must not be understanding what you said :dontknow:your not understanding , when installing my assie locker i must remove the ring gear due to the center pin in the spiders is blocked by the ring gear and must be removed.

bcmaxx
12-30-2009, 11:18 AM
thanks mike. your the man.
the plan was to just swap the intire carrier and pinion on both.
your not understanding , when installing my assie locker i must remove the ring gear due to the center pin in the spiders is blocked by the ring gear and must be removed.

I had to remove the ring gear but it did not require gear setup after, I got a d30 front with 4:11 for $150 and a 8.8 out of an 06 for $200, cheap quick swap, as well as an upgrade

dh_4_ever
01-04-2010, 06:28 PM
you done yet? lol

Trailjunkie
01-04-2010, 06:37 PM
yep all done just have to go beat the hell out of it. uno break it in.

El Camino
01-05-2010, 07:28 PM
What they're trying to say dude is that swapping the entire axle is a bit of a brute job and will take a few hours, but changing a ring and pinion requires some finesse. Setting the backlash on the pinion bearing is not a task taken on by a shadetree mechanic. Best to know what your doing here or you will fuck it up. I've swapped a couple axles and installed a couple lockers but I wouldnt set up my own gears. you need an inch pound torque wrench to set the backlash, then chalk the gears to test the contact pattern etc. Most places will charge you $600 or more to do the gears. If you have a matching axle set, just throw em in.

LooseNuts
01-05-2010, 09:21 PM
switch out the whole housing. pretty sure someone said it, but im not sure the 4.10 carrier will fit in teh 3.55 pumpkin.
also the setting the backlash and all that sucks and is time consuming

when i put the aussie in my jeep the ring gear wasnt in the way.
i poped the carrier out, (keeping the bearing caps and bolts in exacly the same place as they came out of) poped the pin out, put the aussie in and slapped it all back together. i think it was 3 hours or so

Trailjunkie
01-06-2010, 12:58 AM
deepens on the height of the ring gear, some the pin slides out some you grind off just a c hair from the tooth and like the 410 i was dealing with you have to remove the ring.