PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion Time

bakelite
12-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Front ring gear is chewed to shit. Number on the ring gear is written on the paper so I guess it is a 529. It turns nice, the pinion seems fine, it's welded and that looks good. But I guess I need a new crown and pinion which I would like to do on the cheap at this particular time. So if anyone has a Toy third or any suggestions, I'm listening :dontknow: [cheers]

This was in the bottom of the pumpkin...dunno, looks like a seal? Can't see where it would have come from so I dunno.

shit..bad timing:ballsmack ...thanks [cheers]

Murd0c
12-28-2009, 09:33 PM
its still not too bad, since its a front I would just wheel it until it blows. Its been like that since before I bought the truck.

T.O.
12-28-2009, 09:43 PM
its still not too bad, since its a front I would just wheel it until it blows. Its been like that since before I bought the truck.
So you willingly sold him a faulty truck???
May God strike you dow... Aw, forget it.:D

Murd0c
12-28-2009, 10:05 PM
So you willingly sold him a faulty truck???
May God strike you dow... Aw, forget it.:D

I didn't know I sold Joe the truck [wako]

T.O.
12-28-2009, 10:08 PM
I didn't know I sold Joe the truck [wako]
My apologies, I saw the opportunity for a joke and pounced.[27]

Murd0c
12-28-2009, 10:12 PM
My apologies, I saw the opportunity for a joke and pounced.[27]

LOL you at least tried thats what counts right ;)

It's a whole lost worse then it was before thats for sure, only one tooth has a chip out of it when I put the longs in.

Nutbar
12-28-2009, 11:32 PM
My suggestion . . . get rid of the POS Toyota, why a cool guy and an almighty god like Joe would degrade himself with such a lowly vehicle:D Besides you have a couple of Jeeps up there so you don't need anything else

But seriously now . . . change the gear set and get rid of the welded spiders I would put an Aussie locker or a Lockrite locker in it for the frt, my personal preferance after having both welded and automatic lockers in the frt diff of mine. The locker in the frt made the Jeep much nicer to drive and wheel over the welded spiders.

The toy diffs will be strong enough

MUD CHILD
12-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Don't even bother putting it back together it's F%@KED!!! Only thing you can do is replace the ring and pinion. Maybe try and find a un welded carrier and use that. If you want it locker save some money and buy a locker at a later time. I know this is going to probably start a 2 page argument but wheeling with a welded front diff SUCKS! (Speaking from experience)

Nutbar
12-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Don't even bother putting it back together it's F%@KED!!! Only thing you can do is replace the ring and pinion. Maybe try and find a un welded carrier and use that. If you want it locker save some money and buy a locker at a later time. I know this is going to probably start a 2 page argument but wheeling with a welded front diff SUCKS! (Speaking from experience)

[stupid]

B
12-29-2009, 12:06 AM
remember he does have hydro assist so it does make it alot better than reg welded were you just cant steer ...

just sayin :)

but ya ive been there welded front sucks but having to lock and unlock one hub 30 times in 15 min because of a welded front sucks worse

Nutbar
12-29-2009, 12:11 AM
But it still takes 2 football fields together to drive a circle with the hubs locked with welded spiders. Even in my short wheelbase with the welded spiders turning radious more than doubled when you locked the hubs.

and welded spiders add way more stress and wear to the rest of the axle assembly

Apathy
12-29-2009, 05:52 AM
look at the wear pattern of those.

who set them up would be my question.

dirka dave
12-29-2009, 06:32 AM
ARB Joe, ARB.....

bakelite
12-29-2009, 08:56 AM
I know....my plan was to put a locker in the front eventually and I knew as soon as I posted this I was dreaming, it needs all new shit. I was just kinda hoping someone had one and went different gears or something. I been rebuilding the front end as the high steer sheared the bolts off the knuckle on the pass side and everything is turning to shit the farther I get into it so I got new bearings, seal kit, arp's (thanks B), I bought new tires, been off work sick, trying to get it ready for Feb, blah blah blah...turning into a rant lol. [9]

You're right Mikey, should be working on the Jeep.[36]

Thanks everyone. [cheers]

and does anyone know what that round piece is? Is it part of a seal?

B
12-29-2009, 09:14 AM
axle seal from the housing ? does it match the ones in the tubes right now ?

[cheers]

bakelite
12-29-2009, 09:20 AM
I'll check that today, doesn't look like the new ones but they may have changed styles? :dontknow:

FZJ80
01-24-2010, 12:34 PM
I believe that ring is out of one of the axle tubes it's supposed to slow the diff fluid from running down to either end of the axle.
My guess is it was dislodged when the axle /birf ass. was installed.
Resulting in your fucked ring & pinion.

FZJ80
01-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Was there anything in the pumpkin that looked like it may have been one of those at one time?

bakelite
01-24-2010, 12:59 PM
There was two of those rings in the pumpkin, laying on the bottom so that makes sense. I think I threw them out, not thinking[16] . The right side steering housing was dry and the Longs were actually rusty on that side. The left side had no seal and was full of oil. The diff had lots of oil in it when I took it out, I've been maintaining that and never noticed a huge loss of oil when it was down it was usually just a bit.

Second question...nope. Thanks [cheers]

FZJ80
01-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Well i wouldn't worry about it just make sure you use new axle seals in the knuckles, possibly the new Marlin ones.

bakelite
01-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Okay, thanks, I got all new seals and bearings. Luckily I have a spare front diff too as I think I am going to need it...see my other whining post. ;)

flipper
01-25-2010, 09:00 PM
I believe that ring is out of one of the axle tubes it's supposed to slows the diff fluid from running down to either end of the axle.
My guess is it was dislodged when the axle /birf ass. was installed.
Resulting in your fucked ring & pinion.

Thats exactly it they are pressed in close to the punpkin and easily knocked out when installing axle shafts.