PDA

View Full Version : onboard air

Craist
12-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Hey all,

Looking to buy a 2 - 3 gallon air tank to mount under the bed of the truck. I have a compressor, air line, fittings, etc. just need the tank. I have tried Lordco, TnT, Tek Truck, Crappy Tire and can't find one. Anyone have any ideas where to get one in canada?

hoser
12-24-2009, 10:01 AM
i heard if u go to a semi-truck wrecker they have lots and usually just toss them out..i think there is one by the albion ferry on the maple ridge side[cheers]

Craist
12-24-2009, 10:04 AM
hmm really now...

that sounds too easy :) i'll letcha know what I find

UU
12-24-2009, 02:34 PM
KMS has 'em

dirka dave
12-24-2009, 03:08 PM
CBS parts in port kells.

B
12-24-2009, 03:48 PM
i got mine from gregg dis in port kells on 96's 45 bucks for a 10 gallon and yes they were the ones the rigs use have many different sizes

bustamove
12-24-2009, 11:05 PM
princess auto?.... but power fist quality is questionable at best

rmiller026
12-24-2009, 11:24 PM
build one out of 6x6 square tube

stevem
12-25-2009, 01:19 AM
build one out of 6x6 square tube

has it tried to make itself round yet?

Troy
12-25-2009, 01:57 AM
most commercial truck wreckers have the good stuff

Happypants
12-25-2009, 03:59 PM
princess auto sells em,

dirka dave
12-26-2009, 10:53 AM
I have been messing around with on board air for years, I have probably done more reseach on it and tried many different systems over the past 10 years or so, so I have a prity good idea of what I am talking about.

If you are going to make an air tank out of a bumber, you better be damm sure that it can hold 200 +psi...

The welds must be perfect, the inlet must be sealed, the guage of steel must be correct, if not you have a bomb straped to the front/rear of your truck.

I had a buddy who made his own tank just after he nought a new welder and was fabing up his rig, it exploded, blew off the end cap and shot it across his yard. No one got hurt thank god but it was a learning lesson.

The pest place to get air tanks, hoses, valves etc is Canadian Brake Supply in port Kells, they have wvery thing you will need minus a compressor.

Depending on what kind of system you are planning on using, a/c pump or +12 volt compressor type, be sure to put in a 175 - 200 psi pressure relief valve in the main or wet tank.

I use a %100 duty cycle small .75cfm@ 100psi military spec. firestone (viair) electric compressor, three tractor/trailer tanks and have the pressure set at 175psi with a 200psi saftey valve. ( I like using hi pressure)

I regulate it down to 80psi for my ARB, and the rest of the system runs at working pressure.(0-175psi)

Its slow but it has never let me down.

Hope this helps.

My fingers are tired.:eek:

Troy
12-26-2009, 03:48 PM
I have been messing around with on board air for years, I have probably done more reseach on it and tried many different systems over the past 10 years or so, so I have a prity good idea of what I am talking about.

If you are going to make an air tank out of a bumber, you better be damm sure that it can hold 200 +psi...

The welds must be perfect, the inlet must be sealed, the guage of steel must be correct, if not you have a bomb straped to the front/rear of your truck.

I had a buddy who made his own tank just after he nought a new welder and was fabing up his rig, it exploded, blew off the end cap and shot it across his yard. No one got hurt thank god but it was a learning lesson.

The pest place to get air tanks, hoses, valves etc is Canadian Brake Supply in port Kells, they have wvery thing you will need minus a compressor.

Depending on what kind of system you are planning on using, a/c pump or +12 volt compressor type, be sure to put in a 175 - 200 psi pressure relief valve in the main or wet tank.

I use a %100 duty cycle small .75cfm@ 100psi military spec. firestone (viair) electric compressor, three tractor/trailer tanks and have the pressure set at 175psi with a 200psi saftey valve. ( I like using hi pressure)

I regulate it down to 80psi for my ARB, and the rest of the system runs at working pressure.(0-175psi)

Hope this helps.

My fingers are tired.:eek:\

you use THREE air brake tanks? and its slow? with that much volume at 175 psi you should be able to pump up those tires in no time. your compressor must be slow??

Nutbar
12-26-2009, 03:56 PM
\

you use THREE air brake tanks? and its slow? with that much volume at 175 psi you should be able to pump up those tires in no time. your compressor must be slow??

I beleive that is what Dirka meant, with the small compressor the system is slow to fill the tanks to capacity

dirka dave
12-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Yep, thanks mikie,

I can fill 4 37" Goodyear Mtr's ftom 8psi to 25psi in about 5 minutes.

Craist
12-26-2009, 08:50 PM

Hope this helps.

My fingers are tired.:eek:

wow lots of great info. thanks. as im in mission do you think the cbs in abby is just as good as the one in port kells?

In The Zone
12-27-2009, 01:29 AM
old 20lb propane tank works great compressor run while ignition is on and off when pressureis good.
20lb reserve compressor got lots o time to refill
no good for impacts and shit but for airing up no problem...

dirka dave
12-27-2009, 10:24 AM
old 20lb propane tank works great compressor run while ignition is on and off when pressureis good.
20lb reserve compressor got lots o time to refill
no good for impacts and shit but for airing up no problem...

Yep they work great, you can get a kit at most local parts places to adapt the valve.

A bubby of mine had 4- 60lbs tanks in his shop, even though he had a small compressor he had a ton of volume.

Any CBS stor should be good, the one in port kells is their warehouse so youcan wander around in the back and find a tank that has all the ports, and whatver size and mounting brackets you need.

calltrex
01-03-2010, 03:27 PM
gregs distributors has compact tanks

Craist
01-03-2010, 05:09 PM
kms had the one I was looking for, fit like a glove.