PDA

View Full Version : Big block vs small block?

godtool
12-17-2009, 06:11 AM
I thinking which to go, small block or big block: So far I have heard....

Putting one high performance part on or in a big block 454 is like putting 3 high performance parts on a small block such as a 350.

454 will bolt right in no problem in place of your small block, however you will need to change your exhaust where it comes to meet up with the engine manifolds...

454 has more bottom end low rpm power than a small block. Small blocks are made for more top end high rpm power. 454 's are great for lugging or chewing through that mud hole with your 44 inch tires!! 350 will stall out unless you can keeping thr rpms up and the gearing just right.

I'd go with the 454 if its not my daily driver. I'm still stuck between having a rock krawler that is trail only or for highway use too. I'm still undecided with a bb vs a sb. The 81 high perf. 454 I got really twists the truck when I rev it up which is cool when showing off. I'm going to post a vid about that.

Some say a 454 turning 3:73's in rear diff, with 38" tires will get the same milage as a 305 struggling to turn the same gears\tires. A 350 would do better than a 305.

I've heard here at funinbc.com or reading about the guys that do snow wheeling, or what guys are putting in their high speed rock crawlers say for pro events its mainly the big blocks. Its good to have gobs of power and no risk of stalling out. Stalling out meaning your tire size, diff ratio, t-case ratios, put to much torque back on the engine causing it to power out. Gooey deep sucking-at-the-tire mud holes or sandy hill climbs that you want to just fly up, big blocks are the way to go I'm told...

My plan this winter (if I can sell some parts;) )is to put a cj7 or yj jeep body on my fullsize jimmy frame. My Jimmy already has a 14 bolt rear and a dana 60. I have a detroit locker in the rear and will put a selectable locker in the front. I'll put detachable fender flares on it for highway use. My buddies are saying 454, 454, 454 but I'd like the good fuel economy family oriented low budget rock crawler for a bit of fun! I do want my rig to be good for a trip to the sand dunes and Mohab down south one day!

m j
12-17-2009, 06:21 AM
BBC is a good high rpm motor
it has a short stroke and short rods

a well built big motor will always beat a well built small motor in power as the name of the game is burning fuel and air, so the more you can burn the faster it is gonna go

fuel ecomy is the other side of the coin, you still have to feed the cubes at low power and at idle

crazylike
12-17-2009, 06:31 AM
i would say go bb you'll regret it if you dont. i went small block thinking fuel economy and by time i put the 39's on and everything else my fuel economy was crap and i still have no horse power lol so now i looking at a bigger motor and wishing i would have just gone big in the first place. saved time energy and alot of money rebuilding the small block. but thats just my 2 cents

B
12-17-2009, 09:00 AM
go fuel inj witch ever one has it use it ..... its really that simple if you are serious with what you say in your first post ... if it's all bullshit there's nothing wrong with a panty dropping big block

lincoln locked
12-17-2009, 09:09 AM
i would like to see your build when you have made up your mind on a sbc or bbc, i know a lot of the guys are running big block power for the snow but is that what you have in mind ?and it is very cool seeing the bbc in action but Mason runs a very nice small block toy on 44" boggers and turns them like hes on the race track and saves a bit of weight too and he keeps up to the big blocks .[cheers] mind you mason has a realy nicely built 383 stroker with no lack in power as for fuel milage throw that out the window bbc or built sbc and running the shit out of it you wont have much for milage eather way :) but youl have no shortage of funinbc

Ira.

MUD CHILD
12-17-2009, 11:25 AM
[iagree]

Most guys around here run big blocks in the snow, but like Ira said there are a couple guys that do run small blocks, I will be one of them. I just finished building a 383 stroker that will have more torque and horsepower that a lot of big blocks out there. First you really have to figure out what you are planning on doing with the truck and build which ever motor you use to suite your needs. I'm using my motor for snow wheeling, so when i built this motor I spent many hours thinking about what cam heads and intake would suite my needs here is what i came up with, it'll turn 46's easily

lincoln locked
12-17-2009, 11:46 AM
very nice Ryan i cant wate to see it in action [36]

crazylike
12-17-2009, 12:08 PM
nice and shiny

snowman
12-17-2009, 02:43 PM
You will never regret a big block!

98ranger
12-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Know what they say, No replacement for displacement

Always broke
12-17-2009, 08:03 PM
No truer words ever said !!!!!! but i like mud soooooo do what makes ya happy!!!

B
12-17-2009, 08:23 PM
seeing as we are posting pics of big blocks

chev power [36][36][36][36]

[cheers]

Always broke
12-18-2009, 12:35 AM
OK even if ya don't like Chevrolet that is damn sexy

godtool
12-18-2009, 06:49 AM
I need to pay a buddy back $1000+ for buying me a truck so I want to sell a bunch of these parts cheap[36] . If I can sell enough to pay him back and end up still having a big block left over I'll put it in my rock crawler!!:party0010: Heres the stuff I'm trying to sell... I'm going to the coast with an empty car trailer Saturday if anyone needs stuff taken down from 100 Mile area. I had a couple deals on the go but they fell through...:mad:

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102642

Ginger Snaps
12-18-2009, 11:24 AM
You will never regret a big block!

is that whats going in the cruiser?:confused0006:

Apathy
12-18-2009, 11:40 AM

so in that case a 400 small block will outperform a 396 BB.

even thought he 400 was a hunk of crap.

snowman
12-18-2009, 01:48 PM

What's so bad about a 400sbc?:dontknow:

Apathy
12-18-2009, 01:49 PM
siamese twin cylinders with steam ports. they were fine in cars, no good for a truck application.

Nutbar
12-18-2009, 01:56 PM

The heads on the 400 were crap, tiny valves, tiny ports, huge combustion chambers, smogger crap. Change the heads and they are a very torky small block engine. Change the crank and rods and they are capable of incredible amounts of power.

I had a .030 over 400 in the CJ at one point, stock rebuilt bottom end with my Dart heads and all the top end that is on the 350 now. Was probably the most reliable, and definately the torkiest engine I had in the jeep, till I hydrauliced it and threw a rod out the side of the block

Apathy
12-18-2009, 02:12 PM
The heads on the 400 were crap, tiny valves, tiny ports, huge combustion chambers, smogger crap. Change the heads and they are a very torky small block engine. Change the crank and rods and they are capable of incredible amounts of power.

I had a .030 over 400 in the CJ at one point, stock rebuilt bottom end with my Dart heads and all the top end that is on the 350 now. Was probably the most reliable, and definately the torkiest engine I had in the jeep, till I hydrauliced it and threw a rod out the side of the block

BUT, would you say that overall a 400 is better than a 396?

My comment was spawned from teh "no replacement for displacement" comment.

Nutbar
12-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Pound for pound, dollar for dollar I would say that a 400 SBC is cheaper to get horsepower out of, but because of the cylinder head design the 396 is capable of more power. And another but . . . also look at the the wieght difference, so you have to get more power out of the 396 to get the same power to wieght ratio of the 400.

Now back to the original statement the 396 will make more power with the same basic parts as the 400 but the 400 will be cheaper for the same parts so I guess it is one of those 6 of one half dozen of the other situations

Cheese eyes
12-19-2009, 12:11 AM
BIG BLOCK !!! with fuel injection [36]

:D :D

Nutbar
12-19-2009, 01:44 AM
BIG BLOCK !!! with fuel injection [36]

:D :D

PFFFFFFT!!!

[f]

Ginger Snaps
12-19-2009, 09:53 AM
viper engine open headers=sex to the ears....

89burban
12-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Well I was pondering the same thing myself. I was considering putting a 454 into my burban. I think I'm gonna stick with a 350 tho. I just picked one up, in working order(I'm told) for 300 bucks. With a turbo 350 tranny and a transfer case. Not a bad deal. Guy is moving, so that's why the sell.

More power means more chance of breakage. I'm probably just gonna beef up the new 350 a bit. It has a 350 in it now, that isn't running 100% and it still gets me where I wanna go. So a rebuilt one will do just fine. Running 38s right now too.

snowman
12-22-2009, 01:26 PM
siamese twin cylinders with steam ports. they were fine in cars, no good for a truck application.

Every aftermarket block (Dart, World,etc) has siamese cylinders. This gives the block increased strength by tying the cylinders together and reducing block deflection. Steam holes are a myth, they are just small holes in the block and heads that allow air pockets to disapate when filling the engine with coolant. If an engine makes steam its overheating. I have run one for ten years without a problem (with countless refilles of N2O). A well maintained cooling system is also a good idea with them. A 396 will make more power with less money. Which is better a small block or big block,:deadhorse:

bcsparky101
12-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Big Block or Small Block...Hmmm.... I would say it depends on the size of the boat you are trying to anchor..:)

stevem
12-22-2009, 10:55 PM
i am a fan of small blocks.
had a 383 in my iroc that dynoed 550 ft/lbs at 2500 rpm at the wheels.
i have since put this small block in my 4runner whick i am building for the snow.
i say small block

FZJ80
01-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Check the FOR SALE section i have some parts that may interest you.

Hotsauce
01-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Would you guys still run a big block if the truck or burb was still being used a D/D? or does gas economy start to play a role for most of us at this point?

Explorer guy418
01-20-2010, 08:42 PM
i think a small block is fine.. well fine for my needs.. im building a ranger right now and running a 302 with a carb on it and some mild engine work i guess it all depends on how heavy of a rig your building or personel preference

importcrusher
01-27-2010, 10:27 PM
camshaft, stroke, and compression , gearing,weight of vehicle are a couple of things that all affect,each other but in the end if your runnin 35s up a steep grade smallblocks are ok ,but if you want to run say 46's up the same grade you might want to bring the beeffood im talkin bigblock son[36] no replacement for displacement,but whatever happens you should try to make some kind of fuel injection happen because yuo can make the most expensive moor run poopy by running a carb