PDA

View Full Version : rear shock pin

xj-jamie
12-14-2009, 03:32 PM
:confused: the rear shocks are held in by a pin that runs through the top eye of the shock right.... well whatever it is that the bolt bolts into inside the body has come loose and and will only accept half of the bolts length and it leave me with only one bolt securely in and the other half assed.. the whole shocs keeps popping off the bolts.

does anyone know or have any ideas on how to remedy the situation?

btw it is an 88 xj

Moondog
12-14-2009, 03:38 PM
see if you can get a wrench up inside there to hold the nut in place if not cut a small hole next to it and attach a nylock nut onto the bolt [cheers]

bcmaxx
12-14-2009, 03:51 PM
:confused: the rear shocks are held in by a pin that runs through the top eye of the shock right.... well whatever it is that the bolt bolts into inside the body has come loose and and will only accept half of the bolts length and it leave me with only one bolt securely in and the other half assed.. the whole shocs keeps popping off the bolts.

does anyone know or have any ideas on how to remedy the situation?

btw it is an 88 xj
Those can be buggers, They normally break when I try and undo them, I grab a big hammer and punch, and "remove them" . They ususally break free, its just a nut spot welded on the inside of the body, then use normal hardware instead. Its a little tricky getting the nuts up in there the outer drivers side is the worst but it can be done. If your shocks allow it now is a good time for some bar pin eliminators!

C-Dog
12-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Self tapping bolt yer gunna need air to put it in [cheers]

Trailjunkie
12-14-2009, 05:14 PM
pull out the bolts and run a tap through there

xj-jamie
12-14-2009, 11:47 PM
I dont think i could just run a tap it seems too thin.

but how do bar pin eliminator work and where can i get??

the only other thing i was thinking is make a raised support bracket to weld onto the body that could have the bolts tapped into the new support itself?

Happypants
12-15-2009, 08:15 AM
all i did was drill the hole out and ran a tap through it, worked fine for me for the past 3 years, im also running the BPE in the back as well,

or you can cut a peice of the mount out next to the holes and punch the old shit out and run regular hardware, makes it a bit easier to get the nut on the back side of it,

Mr Vic
12-15-2009, 04:53 PM
here is a writeup of how one guy made his own. http://www.myxj.net/blog/78

you should be able to buy the BPE through any of the local 4x4 shops

I have read, but no expereince in doing this.... some people will take the rear swaybar mount that goes on the u bolt plate and use those as BPE, but, i dont recall if that was for the front or rear shock mounts. :/ i saved mine when i pulled my rear sway bar for such an occasian but i sold my XJ and never got a chance to try it.

edit: found link to the swaybar mount how-to
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Rear_BPEs.htm

xj-jamie
12-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Great link thanks

vajayjay
12-15-2009, 07:19 PM
This is whats done to mine

Where bumpstops bolt onto unibody have a piece of tubing going across where shocks are bolted to bolts welded onto tubing
The left side is down the angle is bolted onto unibody rail

BuckNaked
12-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Self tapping bolt yer gunna need air to put it in [cheers]
a self tapping bolt could strip easily id just run a hand tap through and then throw a new bolt in
________
Ford Sav Specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_SAV)

deer laredo
12-16-2009, 05:08 PM
cut yourself a hole and tack the nuts in so they never come loose again.. or make yourself a hole new way of mounting them. new braket...

xj-jamie
12-17-2009, 02:18 PM
This is whats done to mine

Where bumpstops bolt onto unibody have a piece of tubing going across where shocks are bolted to bolts welded onto tubing
The left side is down the angle is bolted onto unibody rail

So that is a makeshift A frame? cause thats the other thing i was thinking was now would be the time to a frame the rear shocks which has its advantages doesnt it?

Arnee
12-18-2009, 04:28 PM
it does if you were wanting to triangulate your shocks

Tehaids
12-18-2009, 06:31 PM
I used the swaybar brackets as mentioned above by Mr.Vic. I bolted them in as best i could (due to broken bolts) then welded. No more issues with the bolts being ripped out on parking lot speed bumps. I had to "flare" the opening a little to get the shock eye and bushing in, but everything worked out then i tightened up the bolt. Cheap and easy to do instead of paying for Barpin Eliminators.

dh_4_ever
12-18-2009, 08:26 PM
with a 4" lift you dont really have enough room to do the bracket, unless you want short shocks, which sucks for flex. and triangled shocks isnt as solid on the road, more body roll. it flexes nice though. I made new brackets that are bolted to the unibody, to triangle the shocks a bit, not as much as vag's but still enough to get more shock length, which was the problem I was having