PDA

View Full Version : Grinding noise in 4WD

whazhappenin69
12-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Heading from work last night in the snow and my 88 f250 started making a heavy grinding noise under load in 4hi. With the hubs locked in and the t-case in 2hi the noise is still present but very faint.

Any one have any ideas on what it might be....T-case or diff ?.....:confused0006: Everything looks good from the outside....no oil leaks or excessive play at either end of the front drive shaft.....

It's has a 300 I6, 5spd ZF, not sure which t-case it has, no lift with TTB.

crazylike
12-14-2009, 09:33 AM
2hi with hubs locked? and have you physically took the bolt out your tcase and diff and checked the fluid level?

whazhappenin69
12-14-2009, 10:57 AM
2hi with hubs locked? and have you physically took the bolt out your tcase and diff and checked the fluid level?

"2hi with hubs locked".... I have manual locking hubs not auto, so I can still drive in 2wd with the hubs locked in and no power to the front diff from the t-case untill I shift into 4wd.

Been about a year since I have checked the front diff fluid level but at that time it was good and it doesn't leak. The T-case level should also be good, just changed it less than 20k ago when I installed a new transmission, it hasn't leaked either. I plan on checking the levels reguardless, just looking for sugestions.
I have used the 4wd alot this fall for hunting and it has always been smooth and quiet up untill yesterday.

crazylike
12-14-2009, 11:28 AM
in 2wd with hubs unlocked noise goes away? is your linkage ok t-case fully engaging? do you feel the grinding feeding back throught any the shifters?

whazhappenin69
12-14-2009, 12:25 PM
in 2wd with hubs unlocked noise goes away? is your linkage ok t-case fully engaging? do you feel the grinding feeding back throught any the shifters?

Yes the noise goes away with the hubs unlocked in 2wd and I don't feel anything through the shifters.
It shifts very easily through 2hi 4hi nertral and 4lo, everything seems to be working as it should other than the noise.

crazylike
12-14-2009, 12:42 PM
what axel are you running in the front and what t-case do you have?

rockycotton
12-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Check the front wheel drive u-joints .. Also did you neutral it first before going into 4 wheel , its not a shift on the fly .. [cheers]

Deathtrap
12-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Check the front wheel drive u-joints .. Also did you neutral it first before going into 4 wheel , its not a shift on the fly .. [cheers]

You only need to put it in neutral to go into 4 low.

And as for what type of t-case you have its either a BW 13-56 or BW 13-45. Have you been through much mud with your truck? The spindle needle bearings tend to crap out on
these trucks fairly easily when they get dirty, they make for a nice grinding noise, usually quieter untill you put it in 4wheel, and its more noticable if you turn a bit usually. I got rid of those bearings
and put brass bushings and alot o grease on the axle stub to help keep water out.

BuckNaked
12-15-2009, 10:58 PM
theres no way that would be u joints, and you dont need nuetral for 4 hi, check your t case fluid just cause you think it hasnt leaked dont mean she aint leakin[cheers]
________
TOYOTA MZ ENGINE (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_MZ_engine)

Reeseman
12-16-2009, 03:35 PM
sounds like an outer axle bearing or a front axle u joint.

Punk in Drublic
12-17-2009, 09:12 PM
had similiar prob in my moms truck, i think it was the linkage/not fully engaging. we swapped in a zf and 208 which has different t case linkage. ended up eating some bearings in the t-case. went beack to the b-w and stock linkage and no probs so far.

muddy mud skipper
12-19-2009, 04:07 PM
defanitly check the bearings.i would also check the linkage if it's a b-w there linkage slips out of place.my old 300 i6 had a b-w to start and the linkage sliped out a few time so i canged it to a np208.