PDA

View Full Version : I need some transmisison help

89burban
12-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Ok, so here's theproblem. I have no reverse. When it's in park, and I move it towards R(not all the way) It grabs a gear and wants to go forward. When I put it into R, It seems to engage.. but only so the truck won't roll forward. It moves a little forward(cuz i wa son a small slope) and stops, like it was in Park. So then I move it to Nuetral, But there is no nuetral. It just goes forward. Same for D, 2, and 1. I added 5 litres of trans fluid, as it was very low. It was showing as full when I checked last, and it's still doing the same thing.

Also, the transfer case linkage is messed up. It's in 2H, but it sounds and drives like its in 4 Low. And since I have no nuetral, switching the trans case is very difficult.

Now I know the trans case has been off for awhile, but it's always worked. Sometimes had to get under and play with the linkage, but it worked.

Would the transfer case being stuck somewhere between 4L and 2H cause the no reverse? The shifter moves, but again, the linkage has been off.

Any ideas/input would be appreciated. I only have basic tools tho. And no where ot work on it. I am able to drive it, so if anyone lives near Mission, and would be willing to take a look at it for me, I'd bring it over. Don't need jacks to get under the truck, plenty off room as it sits.

Or perhaps you have a transmission for sale?

It's a 700r trans. Or so, I'm told.

crazylike
12-13-2009, 06:16 PM
i know when i lost reverse gear and could only go forward it was just the bands in my tranny needed adjustments cost me 150 bucks to have it fixed but mine was a 727 dodge tranny i dont know if your 700r4 is similar or not

85chevy
12-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Just to make sure u checked the fluid level when it was at operating tempature and not when it was cold?

89burban
12-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Yes, with the engine idling.

Now, it wont shift out of 1st.

Anyone got a trans for sale? And I'll also like someone to help me put it in. Fixing this one might still be a possibility, but I think I'd be better off in the long run to just replace it.

nebowe
12-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Did you try to reset your throttle position cable?

89burban
12-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Nope, can't say I have. Not sure how, lol.

nebowe
12-15-2009, 09:19 PM
the 700r4 has a throttle position cable that can get yanked out of position. It is in the same place as a kick down linkage and has a square clip end that fits into a square socket on the throttle linkage..I included a link for you...
http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Instructions/instructions/gm_tv_cable_adjust.htm

nebowe
12-15-2009, 09:23 PM
by the way this is the TCI website for installing new parts...and improperly adjusted TV (throttle position) cable can cause all sorts of weird shit to go on with the tranny...good luck...I have replaced about 5 700R4's in my trucks over the years, i finally went back to the tried and true turbo 350/400..way less headaches and not near as expensive or finicky

ROBO
12-15-2009, 09:54 PM
sounds like its fuckerd dude.. get a rebuild or a used one and toss it in

89burban
12-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the help nebowe. Information is always good.. I found another transmission/motor though. I'm gonna replace it. But when it gets taken apart I'm gonna see if that was the issue. Getting a turbo350 with another 350 motor

nebowe
12-16-2009, 05:21 AM
good choice

shawn_ruley
12-16-2009, 01:59 PM
get a 5 speed:D

stevem
12-17-2009, 12:23 AM
an out of adjustment tv cable will NOT cause no reverse,sounds like linkage is out and if not than i would say trans is done

89burban
12-17-2009, 12:43 AM
5-speed auto matic? hmmm?

Well, it may be the linkage. After playing with it some more, it seems like. R is park. And park is.. well.. park to the power of 10. Though still no actual nuetral. Nuetral is found only by shutting the truck off, and moving the lever somewhere between park and reverse. o.O

Either way, i'm taking it out. Use it for parts. Same with the motor. Hopefully I can get the swap done over the holidays..

shawn_ruley
12-18-2009, 08:13 PM
5-speed auto matic? hmmm?

Well, it may be the linkage. After playing with it some more, it seems like. R is park. And park is.. well.. park to the power of 10. Though still no actual nuetral. Nuetral is found only by shutting the truck off, and moving the lever somewhere between park and reverse. o.O

Either way, i'm taking it out. Use it for parts. Same with the motor. Hopefully I can get the swap done over the holidays..

no man...one of those oldschool transmissions that requires you to manually shift the gears:D

89burban
12-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Yea, that's what I figured you meant. I don't want one of those for trails in my burban. Too much work. I drive standard all day at work, I don't wanna have to do it for play too. Not only that, it's not set up at all for a manual trans. I'd have to do alot of work to install it. Easier to just swap whats there. :)