PDA

View Full Version : Radio whining with engine??

godtool
12-13-2009, 06:42 AM
My 2003 Silverado radio\cd player when turned on causes a whine in the stereo's speakers and gets louder with revs. I had this problem years ago but can't remember the remedy. Any ideas how to fix this?:confused0006:

crazylike
12-13-2009, 07:24 AM
fix your ground

Evan the Blue
12-13-2009, 08:39 AM
[stupid] what he said

dirka dave
12-13-2009, 09:52 AM
run a ground eire to your hood.

kootenaycat
12-13-2009, 02:52 PM
And if you have an amp, make sure the patch cords aren't anywhere near the power/ground cables, they can induce a voltage into them and cause whining.

crazylike
12-13-2009, 03:09 PM
good call kootenay cat

epic3
12-13-2009, 03:59 PM
And if you have an amp, make sure the patch cords aren't anywhere near the power/ground cables, they can induce a voltage into them and cause whining.

13 plus years of doing this as a profesion and I've never come across that.
I have experienced passive crossovers picking up induced noise but thats because they have big coils in them.
99% of noise is caused by faulty grounds equipment or crossover placement.

Is the stereo the factory one?
Grounds often overlooked and often the problem are the hood to body ground, the exhaust to chassis ground, The HID ballast to body ground and the dashboard substructure to body ground. In chevies they also have bad antena grounds. Depending on the year of chev it may or may not have a body grounding strap at its base mount beneath the fender and it is supposed to ground to the firewall.
Most of these ground straps are braided flat wire with no jacket to protect them so after a few years they tend to corrode away.

If all of this is fine another thing to check is AC voltage being produced by your alternator. All alternators create AC voltage as a base voltage then have a diode rectifier and condensor to turn that into DC voltage. This time of year it is very common for the Diode rectifier or condensor to cook (from overloading) allowing an AC ripple to enter your charging system this ripple is measurable with a multimeter and can also cause the noise you are having.
Depending on the extent of damage (if any) the AC ripple will not have any effect on the ability for the alternator to charge your battery leaving you to believe it is in proper working order.

crazylike
12-13-2009, 04:03 PM

this happens more often in home systems then in car audio but i have seen it before.

89burban
12-13-2009, 06:06 PM
I always make sure my amp power/ground wires do not run beside the RCAs/speaker wire. I have found that this causes whining. I tested before and after, and found by running the RCAs down the other side, it stopped.

And as stated, make sure your ground is solid.

kootenaycat
12-14-2009, 12:43 AM
this happens more often in home systems then in car audio but i have seen it before.

just mentioned it because it happened on my '86 chevy, had the power cable strung right along the rca's, when I seperated them, the whine lessened a lot, but not completely.

godtool
12-15-2009, 06:12 AM
My stereo is all stockSilverado. Unless some ground has come loose overtime it may be the alternator. Where would I find the diode rectifier or condensor near the alternator or most likely parts insided the alternator... I'll ckeck all the grounds first. I noticed I got a lot of noise initially out of my speakers (crackling etc.) and now the its just a whine that comes and goes in the speakers.

JohnE
12-15-2009, 07:26 AM
if it's all stock your alternator is alowing diode ripple sometimes you can put a small old school condencer inline with you ground to your alt to absorb the power otherwise you'll proabbly need new alt (if you have already checked and double checked your ground for your sterio which would be my first guess)

godtool
12-16-2009, 06:06 AM
Still need to make time to check. I know what you mean about the small old school condencer inline . I put that in my 81 Jimmy for my CB. Thanks for the help[cheers]

theborges
12-16-2009, 07:25 PM
I have had that problem with almost all the hondas i have had in the past. i had to put a voltage regulator in to keep the volts even regardless of the rpms of the engine