PDA

View Full Version : welder purchase advice

yoda thrills
12-06-2009, 09:29 PM
so ive never really fabbed ne thing up or made somthin with steel before aside from a box. i will be lookin at buyin a welder after the new year so i can learn nd start buildin my truck without haven to pay out the asshole for work, so whats good whats bad
whats hould i buy what shouldnt i buy
what would you recommend i buy
where should i buy from...?
thanks

BuckNaked
12-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Firstly you should think back to when you bought your station wagon.:confused0006: $2000 later with 0 welding involved you would have your truck smooth sailing down dewdney to stave as we speak:party0010:
________
Starcraft replays (http://screplays.com/)

yoda thrills
12-06-2009, 09:40 PM
ya to go fill the frame up with mud nd park it out side so the frame could continue to rot, but instead i bought a vehicle i can drive reliably nd put the truck on hold.. kinda makes sense to me, ur just jealous i got a rockin station wagon

BuckNaked
12-06-2009, 09:47 PM
:happy0045: :happy0045: jealous of station wagon is that an oxymoron, just kidding johnny its an alright wagon but you still coulda put the money into your truck and you know it:)
________
Jeep dj history (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Jeep_DJ)

yoda thrills
12-06-2009, 09:58 PM
yea nd wheeled the piss out of it showin u guys how to actually wheel nd broke somthin then been outta comish until she got fixed ya hear... now i cna wheel er and break and not worry.

BuckNaked
12-06-2009, 10:02 PM
your startin to sound like a jeep driver:party0010:
________
GLASS BUBBLERS (http://bubblers.net/)

Moondog
12-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Miller[cheers]

yoda thrills
12-06-2009, 10:07 PM
is lincon negative or miller ur personal prefrence?

yoda thrills
12-06-2009, 10:09 PM
your startin to sound like a jeep driver:party0010:

over my dead body
i could see my self driven ne but a cheep, not knockin em, jus sayin not my style, nd there for girls anyways who wants to drive somthin that girls drive, thats like bein a body builder nd wearin make up or nail polish[15]

Moondog
12-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Miller and buy the best you can afford I use a 251 & a 302 and I wouldn't use anything else

yoda thrills
12-06-2009, 10:22 PM
thanks for the advice, whats the price range 2 g's

Moondog
12-06-2009, 10:26 PM
A little bit more than that KMS in Abby have them on sale all the time for $2300 if you buy from them ask to deal with Dale he is a good guy[cheers]

yoda thrills
12-06-2009, 10:32 PM
wicked, i will look into it
im not lookin to buy a big ass shop size welder, somthin just smaller than that
somthin that a rookie would use to weld his junk

D-Ass
12-06-2009, 11:24 PM
miller /lincon both great welders just get the 220v and all is good
[cheers]

'Balmer
12-07-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm pickin up a Miller 180 next month. It will weld 5/16 in a single pass and it's a 230v mig. It's got what Miller calls "auto set" which means you just set you metal thickness and wire size, then weld away. I've heard really good things about this unit and I'm sure it's all a hobbyist needs. Just under a grand at Weldco in the 'Wack.

dirka dave
12-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Yep the miller 180 is probably the one you need.

If you can afford a 251 then thats great, maybe moonfag can lend you the $2000 that they cost.

Todd_Bronco2
12-07-2009, 01:54 PM
cant go wrong with a millermatic!

yoda thrills
12-07-2009, 03:16 PM
thanks for the input and information. im hopin to get one after the new year so i can learn to weld nd build my gad dayum truck

m j
12-07-2009, 07:07 PM
new would be a 252
a real welder is a one time purchase
a 180 is a half measure that you will be trying to sell so you can get a real welder

BuckNaked
12-07-2009, 11:27 PM
over my dead body
i could see my self driven ne but a cheep, not knockin em, jus sayin not my style, nd there for girls anyways who wants to drive somthin that girls drive, thats like bein a body builder nd wearin make up or nail polish[15]

At least my jeep runs and actually moves I dont think your toy does either one:happy0045:
________
Iolite Vaporizer Review (http://vaporizers.net/iolite-vaporizer)

yoda thrills
12-08-2009, 04:07 AM
At least my jeep runs and actually moves I dont think your toy does either one:happy0045:

enough of your "at leasts"
i only have one at least and it sums it up finally
At least i dont own a jeep:cool:

m j
12-08-2009, 05:52 AM

winnah

dirka dave
12-08-2009, 06:25 AM
When you get a new welder, can I borrow it ?

BuckNaked
12-08-2009, 06:43 AM

fuck enough at leasts! at least my D.D. drives over speedbumps soI dont have to go camping at golden ears campground:party0010:
________
Marijuana joint (http://howtorollajoint.net/)

'Balmer
12-08-2009, 10:44 AM
new would be a 252
a 180 is a half measure that you will be trying to sell so you can get a real welder

If you're rich then just get the fanciest damn welder money can buy. To me a quality 180 amp, 230V MIG is plenty. Obviously bigger tends to be better if you have 2000.00+ to spend on a welder - do it. For a grand, I think the 180 is more realistic, and very ample.

Moondog
12-08-2009, 12:05 PM
The 180 will be fine for a hobbyist welder. A 252 would be overkill for most amateur welders

m j
12-08-2009, 07:10 PM
rated at max mild steel thickness 5/16"
that is a very tiny welder, you would be far better off to search for a used 200amp @ 60% duty cycle
miller 200 250 251 252
or the lincoln version
I dunno how they get away with calling that a 180 when it doesnt even make the rating for 130a

that would be a good second welder for sheetmetal work IMO

Specifications

Input Power

Requires 1-Phase Power
230 V, 21.7 A, 60 HzRated Output

135 A at 22.5 VDC, 30% Duty CycleWelding Amperage Range

30 - 180 AmpsWire Speed

40 - 460 IPM (1.0 - 11.7 m/min)

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/tls/1500203139.html
link to a current craiglist for a miller 250 for $800
if you need a welder this is what you will want

Arnee
12-08-2009, 07:44 PM
miller get the one like my cousins. can do 220 or 110 all you gotta do is plug the adapter plug in. built my truck and his truck with it a few other vehicles its a super nice machine

dirka dave
12-08-2009, 09:31 PM
did you get one yet ?
I have some welding to do.

Hurry up.

85_GMC_4x4
12-08-2009, 10:07 PM
new would be a 252

Sorry, gotta call BS on this. Unless you are welding some very heavy shit or doing professional welding, there's no need for the 250A. Nothing he is going to weld on his truck is going to need that kind of heat. In fact, he could get by with the 130A welder if he needed to.

The only difference between the 180 and the 250/252 (beside the amperage) is that the 252 has dual powered feed wheels. Which i've got to admit is nice, but not worth the extra $500.

I've had my Millermatic 180 for 3 years now. I've never had to turn the voltage up past 60% and I've never had it go into thermal shutdown/timeout.

My advice: 130A is nice because of the 120V and the lower price. You can take it anywhere and it will weld virtually anything you need for your truck if you are patient with the duty cycle. The 180A is nice because it has enough power for ANY automotive welding with little or no stopping to let it cool. BUT, needing 220V power is a PITA. If I was to do it again, I'd still buy the 180A... but that's just me.

Always broke
12-08-2009, 10:50 PM
rated at max mild steel thickness 5/16"
that is a very tiny welder, you would be far better off to search for a used 200amp @ 60% duty cycle
miller 200 250 251 252
or the lincoln version
I dunno how they get away with calling that a 180 when it doesnt even make the rating for 130a

that would be a good second welder for sheetmetal work IMO

Specifications

Input Power
Requires 1-Phase Power
230 V, 21.7 A, 60 HzRated Output
135 A at 22.5 VDC, 30% Duty CycleWelding Amperage Range
30 - 180 AmpsWire Speed
40 - 460 IPM (1.0 - 11.7 m/min)

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/tls/1500203139.html
link to a current craiglist for a miller 250 for $800
if you need a welder this is what you will want

I call bullshit as well , i have a miller 180 and it works perfectly for any automotive welding i have done and that includes a rear gears in a 9 inch(Miller Locker) with over a 1000 hp . I use mine for bumpers , suspension and general fab stuff for automotive if you need to weld anything in that line the miller 180 works amazing with the added feature of being able to hook an inexpensive spool gun ($79.99) so you can weld aluminum if you need to on occation.
Plus another feature i like is not breaking my back every time i need to move it.

If you plan on welding all day every day then step up to a Tig and do anything you want or get an industrial mig to stand up to the real abuse .

My Miller 180 has never gone into thermal shut-down and has never let me down
Just my 4 cents[cheers]

85_GMC_4x4
12-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Ithe miller 180 works amazing with the added feature of being able to hook an inexpensive spool gun ($79.99) so you can weld aluminum if you need to on occation.

Ooohhh.. More info please! The spool guns I've seen are all around $400.

Always broke
12-08-2009, 11:11 PM
If you have a miller 180 or 140 you can get a spool gun for it for around 80 bucks go to any KMS tools

85_GMC_4x4
12-08-2009, 11:17 PM
If you have a miller 180 or 140 you can get a spool gun for it for around 80 bucks go to any KMS tools

Thanks. I've got the 180. I'll check em out. Tho, I swear I looked already and the gun was over $300 in their catalogue.

Always broke
12-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Look closer HEHEHEHE!!!

Troy
12-09-2009, 02:28 AM
miller lincoln hobart its all the same shit really. for what your doing just make sure you get a 230volt welder. dont waste your money on a 110/120 volt welder. if you can plug it in beside your toaster its no good.

sure the 110volt wire feeders are good and portable but try layin a bead at full tilt and blowin the breaker every 30 seconds. its gets old, quick, especially at a job site.

and i like how everyone assumes he wants a wire feeder.........

yoda thrills
12-09-2009, 03:26 AM
did you get one yet ?
I have some welding to do.

Hurry up.

you got a welder dont you....?
if not you got frank to weld everything for you
BUT when i do get a welder you can use it any time you want, theres a small fee tho, a beer for every inch of wire you use:D

yoda thrills
12-09-2009, 03:29 AM
fuck enough at leasts! at least my D.D. drives over speedbumps soI dont have to go camping at golden ears campground:party0010:

your D.D cost you ugh....14G's?
mine cost me 2500 and is just fine, it got more room than yours runs puuuuurfect its comfy it reliable, and it turns headsoh yeah
o and mines paid for aswell, doesnt tanner have a welder?
and are we still goin to roosters for janels birthday this saturday?[cheers]

m j
12-09-2009, 06:25 AM
sorry, I call bullshit right back
your little toy welder may lay a bead down but it isnt putting the heat required to properly glue anything over 1/4"
if you have glued brackets to a dana axle they will be lacking in penetration
smart choice is a used 200amp machine for the same money as a new sheet metal machine, like the link I posted
I had a 130a @ 60% import box at one time, as did most hobbyists.
there is no comparison

wow, it is an 80amp @ 60% welder
http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/DC12-44.pdf

the settings chart is on pg 32, pretty much maxed out at 1/4" to 5/16" http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o225311c_mil.pdf

Always broke
12-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Just a quick question for you mj....when was the last time you welded something thicker than 5/16th's on your truck and that you were not allowed To make a second pass because of the welding police? If your going thicker than that use a stick.

I've Been welding for longer than you have been out of diapers and have never had one of my welds break so stop your preaching!!

godtool
12-09-2009, 09:17 AM
I use my ol' sears 295 amp AC stick welder for thick stuff and my wire feed for all the thinner stuff. I made certain I bought a mig where you can fine tune the heat setting because metal thickness can vary and some times you need just a wee bit less or more heat. Lately just welded a broken star wheel for the pip sensor in a ford dist. It broke into 3 pieces. Mig worked awesome. It also welds up to 5/16" too! I have not tried it on anything thicker since thicker stuff uses up a lot more wire. Sticks are cheaper I think for the thicker stuff. Its a 2000 220 Century 160 (parts now through Lincoln). Bought a complete set up with a tank and regulator used for $700. A comparable one for $700 at Canadian Tire or Princess Auto only had only a few fixed voltage heat settings and you still had to buy a tank! My wish list is a larger mig with a spool gun and a tig too. Everyones got their fav. Got to have all the toys to weld withhappy penis Also want a plasma cutter too to hook up to my computer[36] Turns out my new neighbor has a CNC Plasma Cutter [cheers]

'Balmer
12-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Just a quick question for you mj....when was the last time you welded something thicker than 5/16th's on your truck and that you were not allowed To make a second pass because of the welding police? If your going thicker than that use a stick.

I've Been welding for longer than you have been out of diapers and have never had one of my welds break so stop your preaching!!

Exactly my point.

The link provided to the 200 amp welder is all good. Like I said before, if you can easilly afford it, get the best. For the vast majority the 180 is plenty.

m j
12-09-2009, 06:05 PM

first I dunno who you think you are speaking to but I am maybe 2 years younger then you (if you havent lied in your profile)
so if you were a super welder dude at 4 years old then ok, but you need some pics to prove it to me.

I dont need to do a second pass on anything on my toys as I bought a MIG welder that every welder I knew stated was the one to get.
I searched the universe for a used one before stepping up for a new millermatic 251.
spending a grand on a new "180" 80 amp welder is two Os stupid if a used 200 amp @ 60% is available for $800

personally I might get another lil welder for sheetmetal, but I would never go without a 200amp machine again

barracuda
12-09-2009, 06:21 PM
get the best you can afford and bigger then you think you will need. That being said be realistic also.

Not many guys are gonna need a 250 - 300 amp machine or a 30A spool gun .
There are folks that have overextended themselves that need to get rid o stuff so now is a time to purchase second hand if you want to go that route.

As for Multi passes well i will say that multi passes are the norm for many application and many codes specify it . There is nothing wrong with doing multi passes and sometimes it is a better choice .

Always broke
12-10-2009, 12:34 AM
So you never answered the question what was the last thing you welded on your rig thicker than 5/16th's and I never said I had used steel so thick that I needed a second pass , also don't try to compare an off shore piece of crap to a miller and for the record I started welding on the farm almost daily over thirty years ago and then working on skidders and tractors and the rest of the stuff that breaks around the camp The 251 is a great welder but overkill if your not. Using the potentional of it then it's a waist I spent less than a grand on mine including taxes and a spool gun for aluminum and took the rest of the money I saved and bought a tubing bender that I use way more often than I have to weld 1/2 inch plate !!!

Troy
12-10-2009, 02:30 AM
i think this is turning into a pissing match between two guys that dont even know how to weld.............................................. .......

:dontknow:

yoda thrills
12-10-2009, 03:32 AM
i kidna agree, either way i apprieciate the feed back, and when the time comes i will be more informed due to this thread so thanks you very much for the input gentlemen

m j
12-10-2009, 06:21 AM
axle brackets are 5/16" going onto 1/2" thick tubes
hydro steer brackets are 1/4" going onto 1/2" thick tube
I have welded 3/8" plate brake caliper brackets to a 1/2" thick d70 tube
pretty much anything going onto the axles is gonna need some heat

someone here said they never turned their welder over 60% heat, go look at how cold those welds are on that little machine

buying the smallest 220v welder available is going to limit you
having the biggest commonly available single phase welder you can pretty much weld anything that you can drag home.

if you are set on buying the bottom of the line then also shop the used market as they are far more available then the 200amp machines.
a hobbyist doesnt need a brand new one.

I also have a tube bender, barely used. the welder is used far more often.
are we gonna list all the toys in the shop? I have a lot of tools, maybe not the most, but a lot.

Troy u is funnay, didnt you have a baby welder and then stepped up to a real one?

'Balmer
12-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Okay guys, I think we can all agree that a used welder in really good shape could wind up being a better deal than a new one, all things posted previously considered. How 'bout we throw out a few pointers on how to trouble shoot a welder and select a good used unit? I think that Yoda, myself and others would benefit from this info.

Troy
12-11-2009, 02:22 AM
Troy u is funnay, didnt you have a baby welder and then stepped up to a real one?

ya, i used that little thing for tacking shit that would be taken to work and then welded. i was poor and couldnt afford a new one. i got a good deal on the 2fiddy1 though. getting a gen welder next. then we can start a pissing match about whos got the most toys in the shop.

Troy
12-11-2009, 02:26 AM
for the record I started welding on the farm almost daily over thirty years ago and then working on skidders and tractors and the rest of the stuff that breaks around the camp

6010 or were you using coat hangers ?tumbleweed

m j
12-11-2009, 06:42 AM
ya, i used that little thing for tacking shit that would be taken to work and then welded. i was poor and couldnt afford a new one. i got a good deal on the 2fiddy1 though. getting a gen welder next. then we can start a pissing match about whos got the most toys in the shop.

you coulda just done 2 cold passes at 60% power and it woulda been just fine apparently
you wasted your moneys that coulda been spent on crack and hookers

barracuda
12-11-2009, 10:36 AM
actually you can do hot passes with low amperage low deposition rates. Wire size & type and gas are factors (or rod if your a stick man) and skill is a factor also.

a single pass or multi pass can be put in too cold just like a single or multi can be put in hot. distortion and heat related issues are also factors in choosing single or multi.
There are so many variables to consider so in my mind a person should be able to put what is required .

I am getting a chuckle out of this thread:p

Always broke
12-11-2009, 10:38 AM
6010 or were you using coat hangers ?tumbleweed

Nope usually used 7018 and lots of heat learned alot from my dad he was a underwater welder on diving rigs for many years

bakelite
12-11-2009, 12:45 PM
"If you can't weld good, weld lots" .... quote from an old millwright I apprenticed under. [cheers]

T.O.
12-11-2009, 12:58 PM
"If you can't weld good, weld lots" .... quote from an old millwright I apprenticed under. [cheers]

Oh, He's met me.:D

m j
12-20-2009, 11:14 AM
there is a few popping up on craigslist

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/tls/1501659548.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/tls/1510478208.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/tls/1504451500.html

'Balmer
12-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Sweet, those seem like decent deals. How 'bout some of that "used welder purchase" advice?

m j
12-20-2009, 07:55 PM
count on at the least replacing the liner if not the whole torch
I dont think there is too much that can go wrong with what is basically a transformer in a box