View Full Version : D44 Pumpkin - cast iron or cast steel?

12-02-2009, 12:45 PM
I've got a D44 that I'm wanting to truss. I need to have my truss VERY close to my pumpkin for clearance sake. I've seen guys weld directly to diff pumkins before. I'm not sure if I feel confident enough to do this. After some research, I realize that some pumpkins are cast steel and some are cast iron and, as such require vastly different welding techniques and materials. My axle is from a mid eighties Waggy, anyone know if it's steel or iron?. I know I can just take a piece of cast iron and gring it, then comare the color of the sparks to that of a known mild or cst steel, but I have no cast iron to grind.

12-02-2009, 05:33 PM
weld away its steel just clean it good befor and if you have a tourch heat it up a cook outall the oil

12-02-2009, 08:25 PM
They are a steel housing but depending on where and how much stress the welded parts will see you will want a torch for some pre and post heating just so drastic temperature differences don't cause stress points, and I don't mean this with metalurgical accuracy, just warm up a large area around where you are going to weld before and after you do it.

12-03-2009, 04:38 AM
and use nickle rod.

12-03-2009, 10:13 AM
I thought nickel rod was for cast iron???

12-03-2009, 10:43 AM
its all "cast".. I know there is a difference.

do a search on different sites about this.. you will find they all say to use nickle.

FU Toolbag
12-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Axle center sections are a high nickel cast.

12-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the info guys! I'm still going try to avoid welding directly to the pumpkin if possible, but it's good to be prepared!