PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a 88 f350 7.3 diesel

cz858
11-26-2009, 11:22 PM
So I went and bought a f350 today for the 60 and 10.25 but now I have a problem it runs and it seems like it just needs an injector witch I have first question anything to watch for on replacing the injector seems pretty strait forward to me ? What else should I be worried about or looking for ? Is it worth the trouble or should I just pull out the torch and get on with it?

fullsizebronco
11-27-2009, 12:25 AM
if you are just doing one injector then you may get away with just popping the return line off and on but the o rings and fuel return lines have an 50/50 chance of leaking if messed with more so if the truck has been sitting for any length of time a return line kit can be had for about 70$ from ford but you can find them cheaper of e bay etc. but like i said you may be fine just doing one..

anyway taking the steel line off should be 5/8 popping the plastic return line off and pull it out should be a 1'' socket and make sure nothing is left in the hole and make sure you get the copper washer out from inside the hole if it does not come stuck to the injector copper coat works great for sticking the new copper washer to the end of the injector the torque speck for the injector is 35lbs and the steel fuel line is 22lbs now when you say it sounds like it may just need an injector what is it doing ? and yes i say its worth fixing i love my old diesel !

cz858
11-27-2009, 01:01 AM
Its knocking bad from that injector and making a high pressure leak sound it’s a nice truck crew 4x4 full load with ac and I got it for 800 so I think I’m doing good right out of the gate.

fullsizebronco
11-27-2009, 01:19 AM
frick! nice man your lucky nice find!!! if only it had a turbo! or does it? you can make more power then the 1st gen powerstroke with a turbo intake and exhaust and bumping up the fuel on the pump (as there is no computer to chip) but i would recommend getting a gauge to see your egt's but get your coolant tested the 7.3 has a cavitation problem that is about the only downside also on the plus side a set of injectors for a 7.3 idi is the same price as one powerstroke injector ;)

cz858
11-27-2009, 12:26 PM
well i just got the injector in but my batt is dead im not sure if there is a draw but i was only reading 12.5 v on the alternator

cz858
11-27-2009, 01:42 PM
so not the injector its the giant hole where there used to be a head gasket lol so full size is it still worth doing im pretty handy just have 0 experiance with 7.3.on that note if i dont find any negative stuff on the job on the internet i will probably give it a shot. your opinions and input are always appreciated thanks.

Lost_in_BC
11-27-2009, 04:56 PM
I've had my '90 F350 crew cab dually since the spring time... and I really like it....

of course... I'm a flatlander now, and don't really notice the lack of turbo that much. :confused0006:

If I was playing in the mountains, I'd definitely be thinking of a turbo kit.

The 7.3 IDI is a big old fashioned diesel... not that bad to work on, and a lot easier on the wallet than the powersmoke.

fullsizebronco
11-27-2009, 06:03 PM
What side of the moter is it on? I know with my 94 I have to remove the heater box (plastic thing on passenger side) to get the valve cover off to get at the head bolts on the passenger side but the heater box is a little different on yours so I'm unsure you may be able to get it (I hope I do not have to deal with that anymore as I'm almost finished my body lift I know there gay but it will give me enough room to clear my 3" downpipe and I hope get at the rest of my moter) but I would say the arp head bolts are a good idea at this point as well and ya much much more easy money the valve cover gasket for the moter in my truck was 17 $ and the powerstroke is 150-170$ how many klm's on the moter?

fullsizebronco
11-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Oh and I guess if the regulator for the alt is bad It can cause a draw on the batterys

FU Toolbag
11-27-2009, 06:20 PM
If your gonna part it out, send me some pix of the back doors. I need a rough set for the buss.

cz858
11-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Its the driver side thats leaking, but the problem is im not sure how long he drove it like this. So if there is any etching on the block its not worth it. Im not sure what to do, im on the fence. I dont want to spend 7-8+ hours doing this, so it might just end up being parted. The back doors are good well every thing is pretty good on the truck. And oh how good my yj would look with a d60 lol. Another question, if i do scrap it, would it be worth doing the head gasket after it was out of the truck? it would make it alot eaiser but will i get any money for a 7.3 with 240xxx on it ? Thanks again for all the input, and you will see parts on bc4x4 if it gets parted as i can not sell here yet.

Cwheeler
12-12-2009, 10:42 AM
I would just fix it, ive got a 90F250 7.3 with 345,000kms and it still runs like a top. these engines are pretty bullet proof and like said before alot less to fix then a powerstroke

Trooper
12-12-2009, 11:57 AM
If you want the axles dotn fix it. Loud knocking is more then an injector.its 20 years old unless the pump has been rebuild its either leaking or going to leak soon. Whats worth more to you the axles or the truck?