View Full Version : Boat carnage

11-25-2009, 08:09 PM
One Sunday night, a couple months back, I got in a wreck at work, and derailed one train car and banged up another 6. Unfortunately, I got no pictures of that. Monday am I got a call from my boss saying that they were removing me from service pending investigation of my incident. Got a month off without pay for that one. 20 min later, I got one of the most horrible calls I could receive. I was informed that in the 80kph+ winds my boat fell out of its boat lift, and had drifted over and got swamped. Since it was so windy, there was nothing I could do all day until the wind died down that evening. When I got there, this is what I was greeted with...

Myself, and a few friends went out that evening with a 5hp honda pump, pumped it out and put it back into its lift. Turns out, when it hit the water, it sunk fairly quick, since I always take the plug out, but before it did, it smashed on my neighbors boathouse rails a few times first, full of water.

It has 3 holes in it now. one is about 5' long, 2" wide, another is about 2' long and 1.5" wide, and the last is bout a foot long by 1". Then theres the scratches... Fuck me. Just this past spring, I wet sanded the whole hull 3 times, removing all of the oxidation and polishing it up like a gem. It looked brand new. Oh well, now I get to split the hull, pull out the floor and redo the whole thing! As if I had nothing better to do. Oh ya, and no, it wasn't insured. Yes I'm an idiot.

I went out a couple weeks later to get it out. When letting the boat down again, the rear pulley on the lift broke, and the boat fell in again! Scared the shit out of me, but at least I was there... I put 2 pieces of 30' long 2.5" pipe down from the shore, slid my trailer down that on the axle and pulled the whole works up onto shore with a winch. Drug the chevy ext cab 1/2t 4wd back about 20' even with all 4 wheels chocked. Ended up getting it out, and back home for a winter of work... Alongside my Toyota. Heh.

11-25-2009, 08:24 PM
if you didnt have any bad luck, you wouldnt have any at all.

11-25-2009, 08:30 PM
wow, shitty ordeal! They say bad things come in threes, looks like it's clear sailing ahead now! (once you fix the holes :D )

11-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Waves were higher throughout the day too!

And for the bad luck thing... I spun a bearing in my freshly rebuilt 22r a couple weeks before this too... My luck is amazing! LOL.

11-25-2009, 08:45 PM
that paint job is pimp

11-25-2009, 09:39 PM
The spun bearing is the third big thing...

anyway shitty deal man, is it aluminum hulled or fiberglass? Fiberglass shouldn't be terrible to fix so long as the structural integrity of the hull as a whole is fine...I wouldn't have any clue how to fix an aluminum hull.

11-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Ya, its glass... Shouldnt be too hard to fix the glass itself, not much of the structure was touched as far as I can tell so far. Still gonna pull it apart to strip out the foam core and replace the floor cause I found a soft spot in the spring. Will probably stiffen up the transom a bit too... Would really like to put a 200 on it... Would really rock then.

The problem comes from having to match up the gold flake thats in it. Since its gelcoat, that poses a problem. I have decided as much as I dont agree with paint on a glass boat, I'm gonna redo the gold flake on the bottom side, in hopes that I can match it.

And yes, the color is soooooo killer on this thing. There was a few of these boats on this lake as I was growing up, so as soon as I got the means to do it, I decided to get my own. Named it Goldmember... Heh.

Heres a pic of it the first day I got it wet.

12-03-2009, 09:06 PM
dude that sucks!! and have you looked into endura paint? there product is super tuff and very durable