PDA

View Full Version : 89 Snickeldime charging issues

fishhead
11-22-2009, 04:18 PM
so the truck died on me the other night couldn't get it running ended up putting my wand through the back window grabbing tools(another story)

ended up getting it towed home checked the batt it was stone cold dead, charged it over the last 2 days and its holding a charge, got the alt. tested at the elec shop and its 100% working.
I have put it all back together and can start it and it runs but as soon as i disconect the battery to run it off the alt. it dies instantly.

now i aint a wiring guy so i come to you

what the fuck is wrong with it

I checked all fuses and wiring all the way from battery to alt and back from the alt to the wiring harness going through the fire wall and cant find anything wrong with it

what am i missing, this is my dd and i need to be able to make it to work tomorow[cheers]

nate980
11-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Problem defintly lies with something to do with the alternator... Maybe find another one as there easy to do.

tchevy
11-22-2009, 05:23 PM
got a voltmeter??

11-22-2009, 05:41 PM
What are ya driving these days? does it have a regulator thats on the inner fender.There must be something between the alt and battery that is pooched.Should be easy to find.

trencher
11-22-2009, 05:42 PM
It shouldn't run with the battery unplugged. Check your battery voltage without it running (with a multimeter) and then start it and check what you have at the battery then....should be more. If you turn the lights on it will go up more even. If you get that then you are charging...if not check the wire from the alternator to the battery/or starter...however it is set up

nate980
11-22-2009, 05:51 PM
It shouldn't run with the battery unplugged.

Yes it can....

85chevy
11-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Once its running the voltage from the alternator runs everything and tops up the battery easiet way to check what the problem is. So if ur taking the battery connection off and its dying the wires coming from the alternator must have a short or have lost contact some where. Should be 2 wires coming from the ignition that turn it on if they don't have voltage with the ignition on its not turning on which is most likely ur problem if u have tested the alternator and its working properly. And yes battery voltage is some where above 12 volts off and while running should be 14 volts but that is not the problem in this case.

trencher
11-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Wow thats funny i could have sworn the cyrcuit needed to be complete to run....maybe its been a long time since i have had to diagnose a cars charging system....just equipment. Mag ignition will run but battery usually shouldnt

mus-Tard
11-22-2009, 09:36 PM
fusible link?
had a simmilar problem with my truck and that is what it was for me.

nbrowser
11-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Wow thats funny i could have sworn the cyrcuit needed to be complete to run....maybe its been a long time since i have had to diagnose a cars charging system....just equipment. Mag ignition will run but battery usually shouldnt

Yep, most vehicles with an alternator that's healthy will run with the battery disconnected.....this is how some mechanics will do a battry replacement and not wipe out the radio settings/ECU learnings etc.

nate980
11-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Meh, when I change a bettery I don't care about that stuff lol. No customers have complained yet :p

nbrowser
11-23-2009, 08:02 AM
I hate doing ECU re-learn procedures....if I can avoid it, I make it happen !