PDA

View Full Version : 92 12V cold air intake

bakelite
11-15-2009, 04:04 AM
I've looked around a lot and can't find a cold air intake that will fit a 92 Dodge Cummins. They are available for later 12V engines, has anyone used one on a 92 or know of where you can get one in Canada? Whenever I talk to a parts guy about this they look at me like this....:eek: Thanks...[cheers]

Nutbar
11-15-2009, 11:37 AM
My understanding is that there is not a lot of bolt on performance parts for the first gen Dodge CTDs. IIRC there is no cold air available for it, the other first gen owners custom make theirs, Bryson would know a little better than me.

From what I remember most performance stuff for the first gens is either Cummins specific parts (parts for the 6BT in general not for the "Dodge CTD" specifically), or are modified second gen parts.

Foes
11-15-2009, 05:46 PM
search cummins BHAF on google, its a filter people use thats off of a bigger cummins motor. its a do it yourself cold air system.

mus-Tard
11-15-2009, 06:58 PM
my brother has a first gen dodge and has a cold air intake, up graded injectors and an exhaust system.
cant rember what brands they are. will post that later.

bakelite
11-16-2009, 10:01 AM
My understanding is that there is not a lot of bolt on performance parts for the first gen Dodge CTDs. IIRC there is no cold air available for it, the other first gen owners custom make theirs, Bryson would know a little better than me.

From what I remember most performance stuff for the first gens is either Cummins specific parts (parts for the 6BT in general not for the "Dodge CTD" specifically), or are modified second gen parts.

Thanks Mikey....might try this 117965 :dontknow: Think it would help a little, not looking for much. I put one on the Rubi and it really smartened it up.

Foes, I seen that one, not really a cold air intake just a big damn filter. :eek:

Rebel, if you got a brand name for the cold air that would be great.

Thanks all. [cheers]

B
11-16-2009, 10:39 AM
here's one joe

http://www.iceboxintakes.com/cold-air-intakes/dodge-cummins/gen-1/index.php

http://www.pdrdiesel.com/products/ASA_Modifieds_1st_Gen_Dodge_Cold_Air_Intake_System _1989_93_only_w_aFe_Filter-604-37.html

let me know if ya want me to make some calls for ya [5][5]

here's the second one pdr is just accross the river bro

bakelite
11-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Big Brother man[36] [36] You rock [cheers] Mine's a 92 intercooled so that PDR one would be cool. So yessir if you can find out about one for me that would be most awesome B! Thanks brother:cool:

EIEIO
11-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Joe, go buy some silicone connectors and rebuild the stock pipe. Hack the hell outta that stock intake box. If you want to make a true cold air intake I took 3" vent ducting and ran it to the front of the truck in various spots, dumping straight cold air on to the intake. Keeps under hood temps down and decreases pre-turbo air intake temp greatly!! super cheap too!! [cheers]

bakelite
11-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Joe, go buy some silicone connectors and rebuild the stock pipe. Hack the hell outta that stock intake box. If you want to make a true cold air intake I took 3" vent ducting and ran it to the front of the truck in various spots, dumping straight cold air on to the intake. Keeps under hood temps down and decreases pre-turbo air intake temp greatly!! super cheap too!! [cheers]

Thanks, I got the PDR one coming from JTC. What you are describing sounds good too. I don't have any overheating problems, had the cover on the front of my grille for at least a month now, starts to get warm about the time I arrive home from work lol. [cheers]

EIEIO
11-16-2009, 05:01 PM
keep in mind the PDR one has an open style filter so it will start breathing in the warm temps from the turbo. That style intake with a custom cooler box would work really well. Thats why the stock air box works good cause you can hack it so it only pulls air from behind the headlight (one of the coldest spots) instead of sucking up warm air from the turbo.

bakelite
11-17-2009, 09:38 AM
So I should build a sheet metal air box or put the PDR inside the stock airbox? Which would work best ya think? [cheers]

Apathy
11-17-2009, 10:20 AM
I have heard that oil impregnated filters give diesels a problem.
Can't remember why, but i read it someplace. (such as K&N)

FYI

EIEIO
11-17-2009, 10:49 AM
K&N style filters are only good up to a certain psi, once you start cranking up some boost it will get sucked in to the turbo from restrictive air flow. Regular BHAF from Fleetguard is the best style of filter.

I would build a sheet box to go around it and leave the fender side and headlight side open so it grabs the cold air from the front of the truck. Eventhough your coolant is not warm and the truck isn't "warmed" up. That turbo is still generating a shwack load of heat if your in to the boost at all.

T.O.
11-17-2009, 12:08 PM
First, Good guys at Pierce.
Second, My truck came with a K&N filter but it leaned the truck out something bad, I went back to a paper filter and all is good now.
Would like to get air from outside somehow, That would be nice.

Good luck Joe.

ShuswapRedneck
11-17-2009, 01:33 PM
I took a 4 inch cone filter, a chunk of 4 inch exhaust pipe and a length of that reinforced rubber hose, clamped them all together with hose clamps, onto the end of the turbo and fed it into the old airbox to draw cold air in under the fender. Works pretty well, sure makes the turbo louder.

B
11-17-2009, 02:14 PM
picked it up for ya today joe [5][5]

EIEIO
11-17-2009, 04:08 PM
First, Good guys at Pierce.
Second, My truck came with a K&N filter but it leaned the truck out something bad, I went back to a paper filter and all is good now.
Would like to get air from outside somehow, That would be nice.

Good luck Joe.

Do my trick, 3" dryer ducting. Ive got extra if ya wanna give it a go [cheers]

bakelite
11-18-2009, 08:58 AM
K&N style filters are only good up to a certain psi, once you start cranking up some boost it will get sucked in to the turbo from restrictive air flow. Regular BHAF from Fleetguard is the best style of filter.

I would build a sheet box to go around it and leave the fender side and headlight side open so it grabs the cold air from the front of the truck. Eventhough your coolant is not warm and the truck isn't "warmed" up. That turbo is still generating a shwack load of heat if your in to the boost at all.

That's what I'll do then. I drive this thing like an old lady and no performance mods whatsoever. Just looking for a little more efficiency, mileage :dontknow:

bakelite
11-18-2009, 08:59 AM
picked it up for ya today joe [5][5]

awesome Big Bro...thanks [36] [cheers]

mus-Tard
11-18-2009, 12:31 PM
ok my bros 93 diesel has
AFE cold air intake
Prince of Darkness injectors
MBRP exhaust

Deathtrap
11-28-2009, 09:15 PM
If you ever dicide to want some extra power without to much of a milage sacrifice if any, grind out the fuel plate to a Zero rate plate and some 3000lbs govenor springs, costs about $150 and a couple hrs to do.

78bronco
12-03-2009, 09:59 PM
I built my own out of a 4" u-bend and put a afe filter on it and got the silicone flex pipe from pdr and the clamps from home depto insted of paying the 400 dollers for the pre made set up

Crazy_Eye
12-14-2009, 06:27 PM
If you ever dicide to want some extra power without to much of a milage sacrifice if any, grind out the fuel plate to a Zero rate plate and some 3000lbs govenor springs, costs about $150 and a couple hrs to do.

thats for 94 and up 12 valves. these trucks use a different style pump. you can turn the fuel pin and star wheel to get a lil more juice out of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zPnjE3neoM
thats where I found out to do mine. makes abit of a difference, and its free!! can also turn the full power crew on the pump but apparently egts start riseing pretty quick. not touchin mine until I get a pyrometer hooked up in there

g-rod
12-14-2009, 09:42 PM
i got a custom 4 inch bent tube that my buddy gave me, he got it made for his 93 but crashed it, and my brother took the filter, its chrome and shiny stainless it cost him close to 300 for it, i got the clamps everythign, no filter