PDA

View Full Version : omg is this a deal of a lifetime or is it just me?

A6D9
11-05-2009, 02:54 PM
ok, so as some might know i been looking for a toy and something to help pull my car out of the driveway when stuck this winter.

now i found this:

http://fredericton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-pickup-trucks-FS-1987-Toyota-Pickup-Turbo-Diesel-4x4-W0QQAdIdZ163719419

guy says that the only thing it needs is a gasket between the fuel pump and block on the motor itself, so my first question is where could i get that part? and directions on how to do it.

and last but not least what do you think this is worth looking at the pics?

guy says he has over 1700 invested and is asking for 1500.

I'm going to go look at it this weekend and would love your opinions on where to look for problem areas and what not.

thanx again all :)

john deere
11-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Seems like a fair price........not often you see a yota with a inline price tag [cheers]

Trooper
11-05-2009, 03:16 PM
What engine is in it. All the pick ups here were sold with NA diesels. Ask him if its leaking oil or diesel from the seal. No matter what is leaking if you have to pull in injection pump you might aswell rebuild it. Its not to bad to pull the pump. To get the part you need to know what engine is in it. If its a denso pump you cant get any parts from the dealer for it. You will have to get them from a denso shop close to you.

A6D9
11-05-2009, 03:24 PM
i duno exacly what motor it has, all i know is that it is a turbo diesel.

I asked him and am now waiting for a reply t what he says, I'll keep you all posted.

if i go over this weekend, I'll even try to get some pics of the leak and maybe you can tell me what is involved?

I'm not dumb with tools...but don't have a shop, all would be done in the backyard in the cold with no lift lol gotta keep that in mind.

A6D9
11-05-2009, 03:40 PM
OK here is the convo we are having.

in reverse order...sorry takes too much time t switch it up.

what you think?

"The frame has been repaired but they are good solid repairs. The same with the floor of the truck. It is a 2.4L Turbo. It is listed as an '87 Toyota Pickup.

Brooks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
i would have to agree that is a reasonable price, what kind of shape is the frame in? i know those old toyota's liek to rust and snap in 2, but the pics show yours to be in pretty good shape.

where are you located? got a phone #, I'd like to possibly go see this on the weekend.

also can you get me the model of the truck? toyota diesel 1987 is not tellign em much and i cannot source any parts stores that could possibly have that gasket.

do you know the displacement of the motor? i assuem it must be a 4 cylinder, is it made in north america, left hand drive or right hand drive?

Darren,

I have never priced out the gasket. To tell you the truth I have over $1700 invested in the truck. I know I'm not going to get that much out of it but I think $1500 is reasonable as its a good running 4x4.

Brooks

did you ever price the cost for the gasket part?

then tell me what you are lookign for then in price? :)

if your too much for me, I"ll be honnest and tell you up front, if it is within my realm, I'll try to go over this weekend and get a look at it.

we need somewhere to start, i wana pay as little as possible and you want me to pay as much as possible...hence why i started so low...i know it is worth more then that...was testign to see if you knew as well. witch you do....

so make me an offer.

Its the gasket between the fuel pump and the engine itself. I would need to get more for it than that. I know its an older truck but it is quite rare, efficient and old Toyotas run forever.

Brooks
is the fuel leak in a line? or in the tank? or any adapter/fitting?

as for an offer, it is a 22 year old truck so if it needs a bit of work and has a flatbed and not the original bed, probly 6-700ish.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
It needs to have the brakes bled and there is a small fuel leak. Make me an offer.

Brooks"

Trooper
11-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Sounds like the pump is leaking. It will need all new seals. ULSD is really hard on old seals. Taking the pump off in your backyard in the cold isnt a big deal getting the air out of the injector lines is a bitch. IF there is any leak from the front of the pump its the seal. It should be an inline 4 pump. fairly common and cheap to rebuild. You can take the side cover off and look for rust. It will tell you if water has ever gotten in the fuel. It should be a 2lt. You can use a 2l pump if you over fuel it to make up for the no boost compensation. Those engines will rattle forever. They are really detuned easy on all engine bearings. They go 500000miles easy

m j
11-05-2009, 04:50 PM
a fuel leak on a diesel is not a "gasket problem"
it will need a rebuilt pump, at least

A6D9
11-06-2009, 04:36 AM
Trooper, I'm sorry but you have me confused, do you think this is a good deal and a good potential whealer?

your answer says they will last for ever but then you say it will rattle forever.

I'm just looking for a play toy that I don;t need to allways dump $$ into to keep running.

I understand if i abuse it, but from the sounds of it, would this pump thing worry you?

Trooper
11-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Those diesels will rattle forever. Its a good thing. I would be more worried about the frame then the injection pump. It needs at least $1000 put into it. Hes patched the frame that can be good or bad. Diesels are allot simpler then gas engines at least I think so. Get him to start it see what colour smoke it blows.

A6D9
11-06-2009, 11:13 AM
how do you know it needs 1000$ in the frame? wow I"m confused.

lookign at the pics it appears to be in great shape. I'm going to look at that tomorow..i knonw my skills can tell what is good and not good for frame and body..my biggest concern is the diesel since i have no way of knowing if it works good or not.

so you say look at the smoke...what am i lookign for black? white? or blue? i know blue is normaly bad as it means oil, black would tell me a bit too righ, and white is coolant right?

anythign else i should be lookign for with regards to the motor?

A6D9
11-06-2009, 11:36 AM
ok i re-read this liek a 100 times. are you telling me that i will need an extra 1000$ to "rebuild the injection pump"

I'm lookign for a cheap rig to be road worthy for 1000-1500, is this going to be that to buy and another 1000$ to get workign right? providing the body and frame are decent/good?

Pegleg
11-06-2009, 03:55 PM
thats what i read,the injection pump will be the 1000 bucks

B
11-06-2009, 07:04 PM
dude you seem like a good guy so here's my 2 bits ... there is no such thing as a non rusty toy frame period if it's all ready been patched be worried if it hasn't be worried take a hammer with you and ask first start lighty tapping and you will soon know were the bad spots are ... the hole fucking thing ...

maybe you could get a new frame from cali or Arizona whats that gonna cost close to what he's asking for the truck and you still gotta swap all the shit on to it and then the fun begins oh shit this is fawked 2 and that dam next thing ya know your in 2 g's on your 1500 truck and you still arn't driving it

second never buy a veh that doesn't run i have made this mistake before and if you cant drive don't even waste your time on it unless it's free or you got more money than you know what to do with ..

my2 if it sounds to good to be true it fawkin is ... especially when you don't have a garage to work on shit ...

oh p.s. spend the money on a ticket and come out for the toy run or somethin and drink some beer already ..[f] ...

B ...

B
11-06-2009, 07:06 PM
ahhh shnit just read the add i guess it runs .. disregard that part .. but the rest is true

Briannishi
11-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Why not just pay a 100 bucks or so and get it inspected.

A6D9
11-07-2009, 12:31 PM
well, i just got back from looking at it.

and let me tell you, this thing has been fixed right...lol

the whole frame has been plated on the outside with 1/4 inch steal, an is very very solid. i banged as much as i could with the hammer.

seams to be a tiny exhaust leak, but other then that it is in really good shape.

the pump leak appears to be the seal as trooper said, but it is sporatic, i was told by a god mecanic friend of mind that if i put some ATF in the gas tank it will help sweal up the seals and be a bandaid fix to this.

but here is the kicker...he has an extra 2.4L turbo diesel motor to toss into the deal, it is aparently complete, also has another set of rims.

the body is not as good as the pics show...cheap paint job..but again no rust, seams to be all new panels within last few years.

also the best part about the deal, he is willing to do a trade + cash for my old canoe.

I got the canoe for free, so I'm gona offer him canoe +200$ cash for him to deliver it to me with the extra motor.

anybody see how this could be a bad deal? i figured i could probly sell the extra motor for more then i paid alone. but i doubt i will do that since thy are so rare, it'll be nice to have an extra motor for parts :)

Trooper
11-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Take it. The extra motor makes it worth it. A good 2lt can get 3k with tranny easy. Take the injection pump off the spare motor get it rebuilt and slap it on the motor in the truck. Seems like its to good a deal to me tho.... I would get the frame checked out by a professional tho. Ive seen allot of shitty dangerious patch jobs on frames and twisted frames from retarded welders. Did you check the inside of the frame around the rear wheels? Check the turbo for end play too its easy on that engine. ATF isnt gonna swell the seals. I bet putting a injection cleaner through it would make the leak even worse. Your into it for a injection pump rebuild. It would be worth shipping it to bc to get it done too.
I know a really good guy for toyota pumps. He did my pump and 6 injectors for a 1HD-T he upped the governor and bumped up the timing too for $1200 Yours is a way simpler so its a hell of allot cheaper to rebuild. You dont have dual stage injectors either so they should be half the price too.

Trooper
11-07-2009, 01:44 PM
this will help you too. http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/g_U_1987_TOYOTA_HILUX_LN66L-MDCXK.html

its a ln66l. A fairly rare truck not many brought into canada. The last year you could get a diesel pick up in canada too I think

Make sure you check the ACSD if your gonna run the truck as it. Thats what took mine out.

A6D9
11-07-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm not worried bout the frame, i got the best welder in my province accross the rd from my house. good buddies of mine. :)

as for the rest, I'm excited.

i figured I'll get it home and get some pics of it and some more looking into it to see if the pump needs to rebuild or not.

i know you all think deal is too good to be true. but this is a young kid, he was 18 moved out to alberta for soem mad cash...now is 24 and has his own home with some land and a big barn full of old cars/classics.

seen a 1951 firetruck converted to flatbed while i was there, he had a 46 ford coup, also had a 61 caddy.

this kid has no use for this truck since it is not mint and he has a few other 4x4's for wood colection like he used this for.

trooper you seam to really know allot about these trucks....am i crazy to wana make this an off road toy? are parts going to be impossible to find?

I'm thinking since it is a flat bed i should plenty of room for bigger tires...I'm leaning towards 33 possibly 35's.

locker in the rear for sure and possibly soem off road lights and tube bumper....

ideas can be plentyfull.....but am i potentialy ruining a piece of valuable history.

bocephusjr
11-08-2009, 03:03 AM
no such thing as ruining a "valuable peice of history" when it comes to vehicles. its yours now do what u want to it and dont wrry about ruining it

Redneck_04
11-12-2009, 08:22 PM
cool hope this deal works out for u!

NickB
11-13-2009, 02:16 PM
You could always pull the diesel and put a gas engine in it. Lots of those around

Landlover
11-14-2009, 12:31 AM
wow, looks like you found a smoking deal especially with the canoe swap. I have an 75 toyota diesel in my Land Rover and the thing is bullet proof!!

check this out you'll love this link then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk

top gear tries to kill a toyota diesel...and can't...

dirka dave
11-15-2009, 04:59 PM
If you don't buy it, I am going to hop on a plane 2 morrow and get it.

[36]

A6D9
11-16-2009, 06:31 AM
i got it...just waitting for him to deliver it. :)

he changed his mind on the canoe...going to pay 700 cash for the truck and when he delivers the motor later this week, i pay another 500

so 1200 bux for it.

I'm very very excited for this.

with soem of the PM i have received from trooper..he has tought me allot of stuff. and i just wanted to thank him publicly.

:)

will post pics of it when i get it home for you to all see how good of shape it is in. :)

and dirka, i know of another 2.4L TD toyota for sale here, it's only the drivetrain...as the frame rusted...but whole truck is there for 1000$. if you are serious..let me know and you can stay at my place when you come get it..but doubt that one would be worth it...lol

PowerStroke
11-16-2009, 11:31 AM
great deal, best of luck.