PDA

View Full Version : Jeep water pump?

killman
11-04-2009, 07:09 PM
I bought a beater Cherokee a while back and the water pump pulley has started to rub on the water pump outlet. Is this a common problem? The person who I bought it from said it was done not that long ago.

Thanks.

nbrowser
11-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Nope, not a common issue......and if it's rubbing the outlet....I would have to think it's a bargain basement re-man pump...probably the bearing is going.....

Happypants
11-04-2009, 09:40 PM
bearing is toast in the pump, pull it, get a new one, especially seeing how your in PG and you guys got hardcore winters out there do it asap before you end up parking the jeep for the whole winter, there fairly easy to do, had my sister do hers and just kinda walked her through it, you dont have to but we pulled the entire front end off and did it that way took us about 1.5hrs if you know what your doing, if not then takes a bit longer, just dont torque the shit outta the bolts on the waterpump or they will break off in the block, also get yourself some blue gasket maker, the gasket they give you with the kit is shit, when i did mine on my xj i didnt use any gasket maker and the fucking thing leaked then i had to do it all over again, all i did was put a thin bead of gasket maker on the pump itself then kinda flatened it out all around the pump and around the holes for the bolts then put the gasket on top of the gasket maker and its been 3 years now and it hasnt leaked a drop, also you will have a metal hose type thing coming outta the waterpump when looking at the pump on the block it will be on the left side, just pull the rubber line off and put the old pump in a vise and carefully work it back and forth and it will unthread, then use some white plumbers tape on it and put it onto the new pump,

nick

killman
11-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Thanks guys I have a new pump and will put it in tomorrow, I was just wondering if it was a common problem. I think the belt was a little tight which may have cause the bearing to go prematurely.

bcmaxx
11-05-2009, 01:43 PM
I bought a beater Cherokee a while back and the water pump pulley has started to rub on the water pump outlet. Is this a common problem? The person who I bought it from said it was done not that long ago.

Thanks.
prob a FENCO quality reman

Happypants
11-05-2009, 02:00 PM
prolly,

if your belt is rubbing on your timing cover then you may wanna do your harmonic balancer while your at it, had to do that on mine too, robo and i made a fancy little tool to get the new one back onto the crank,