PDA

View Full Version : Welding Helmet ?

UU
10-31-2009, 11:10 PM
I'm in the market for a new welding helmet.

What do you have ?

What do you like ?

Where's a good place for one ?

Arnee
10-31-2009, 11:50 PM
i've got the PA auto darkening plain one. works well when i use it and can't beat the return policy

D-Ass
11-01-2009, 02:24 AM
I use a 4 x5 non flip gold lens I also use a 2 x 4 flip front gold lens both are regular cheep helmits that I have been using for the last 5 years on a full time daily basis ( I have bean using the gold lenses ever since i started welding and would sugest to any one try them out you can see full color unlike the green lenses

the auto helmits are fine but you don't have to spend a whack of money, the p.a. ones work well for small shop use and for the price you really can't go wrong just don't through it around and it will treat you well

then their are the more expancive helmits like the miller or lincon with all the fancy shit all over them but if you are a real welder you would know that a welding helmit gets fucked up really quick and the money that you paid for some flames is just not worth the price (sorry I have no time for a helmit that caust 400 bux and dose the same job as one that is 60)

just my 4 c

jonny6door
11-01-2009, 10:23 AM
ive been welding for 5 years and have used almost everything, and the princess auto ones are the best bang for the buck for sure. ive used the same auto darkening princess auto one now for a year and a half and never had a problem with it. and it was 39.99 on sale. ive got one at the shop and one at home. if you want a cool looking one check out www.hoodlum-welding.com/hoods.htm (http://www.hoodlum-welding.com/hoods.htm) i used to have the "burning skull" one. definately got lots of comments on it.
________
Alaska Medical Marijuana Dispensary (http://alaska.dispensaries.org/)

T.O.
11-01-2009, 10:26 AM
I've got the P/A one even though I don't know how to weld.
I just like putting it on and talking like Darth Vader.:D

dirka dave
11-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Miller if you want an auto dark kind
Don't screw around here PA stuff is absolute crap. the delay time varies on them.

I paied $300 for my miller, you only have one set of eyes.

Apathy
11-01-2009, 11:02 AM
i just use a plain jain flip down. No auto on...

barracuda
11-01-2009, 11:27 AM
good ol regular 2x4 pipeline style or a fab style with a leather throat guard rivited on it.

dirka dave
11-01-2009, 11:38 AM
We just got the new miller style at work, don't know how much they are it works like a hotdamm !!

My miller is 3 years old and has never missed an arc.

If you are afraid of an arc flash, I have had two in my life and let me tell you you want to pull your eyes out in the middle of the night, get the standard flip down type.

They make a nice large viewing area type, then expermint with the shade that you want.

98ranger
11-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I have a Jackson Safety one that I use both for work and school. and I love it. They come with an amber lense so its alot easier to see your puddle IMO. And I found there wasnt as much strain on my eyes after a couple of hours of runnin beads. With me working, and also getting my C class welding ticket, I am welding like a solid 7-8 hrs a day.

m j
11-01-2009, 12:33 PM
depends on what you weld.
for 4x4 stuff we are always outa position doing repairs
so the biggest viewing window and auto dark are features that are handy
I have the $300 Miller as well, and a cheapy spare

barracuda
11-01-2009, 01:59 PM
for constant welding i found the straight lens gave meless eye strain but for stop and go the auto is really good especially for learning how to weld and fit.

i probably have half a dozen helmets of differnt types (including a gimp mask) and none of them are auto.

I should probably switch to an auto also cause it it really isnt comfortable flipping.

Lynx
11-01-2009, 03:45 PM
i weld fulltime and i use a miller. Had it for 3 1/2 years and it still works great. No complaints.

If you just want a helmet for hobby welding, it's way overkill.

Moondog
11-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Walt just buy the Princess Auto one it will be plenty good enough for what you need it for. I use the big face Miller auto I have had it for nearly 4 years now and I love it but it would be (as everyone else has said) overkill for just hobby welding, unless you want to spend $300 on a helmet that is [cheers]

curlee
11-01-2009, 05:48 PM
I've got the P/A one even though I don't know how to weld.
I just like putting it on and talking like Darth Vader.:D

here's todd's....

barracuda
11-01-2009, 07:23 PM
i think that was the one they had at PA today for $49 but it had flames on it.

Troy
11-01-2009, 08:13 PM
ive been rockin the miller auto shield for awhile. has all the manual dials inside for brightness, sensitivity and grind/cut mode. it gets beat up and still works, the miller lenses are fairly expensive though.

i found out that the standard cheap brand auto lenses fit into the miller helmets.

if your not welding for work or getting paid to do it, then the princess auto one is good enough... but who the hell am i though

FINGERS
11-01-2009, 08:18 PM
BUY WHAT YA WANT AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED MILLER IS ONE OF THE BEST ,BUT YOU CHOOSE REPLACEMENT EYES ARE REEL EXPENSIVE BUD!

barracuda
11-01-2009, 08:33 PM
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/weldinghelmets/series_comparison.html

walt take a look at these . no matter which auto you have i would say get a regular helmut for backup.

98ranger
11-01-2009, 09:09 PM
http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/images/MILLER%20PH%20Camo%20231407%20MED.jpg

MMMMMM camo!

Ironman
11-01-2009, 10:35 PM
i got a miller auto darkening 1 shades 9-13 and 5 for grinding. works great. if you want it ill trade you for 100 bucks. its about 2-3 years old

killman
11-01-2009, 10:50 PM
I have one of these. Pretty happy with it. Although a buddy had one and it died

http://www.brwelder.com/images/Optrel_Satellite_K601.jpg

Rubiconmike
11-01-2009, 11:10 PM
I have an optrelHad it for five years. no problem.
________
Couples Cam (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/straight-couples/)

barracuda
11-01-2009, 11:32 PM
durability was my biggest concern in the field so regular lenses were were par for the course.
I have had lenses get smashed in hard to weld spaces and a simple change is all it took to get up and running again .

It has been years since i used an auto helmet ( It was the companies not mine and i actually had an easier time in some ways because of my habits with my regular helmet ) I am sure that they are heaps better now in terms of toughness and how common they are.

Tie ins, starts and stops, fitting , backstepping is heaps easier with an auto in fact it feels like cheating but the end result is a better weld for most and that is the only thing that matters.

I always figured that you should see the weld with your eyes closed but those days are gone.

Everything you can do to improve what you are doing is a good thing and dont let anyone tell you different.

now that this thread has started i am thinking i should start looking into one .

Moondog
11-01-2009, 11:38 PM
i got a miller auto darkening 1 shades 9-13 and 5 for grinding. works great. if you want it ill trade you for 100 bucks. its about 2-3 years old

I may be interested in that if Walt don't want it Jay I could use a spare.

D-Ass
11-02-2009, 12:47 AM
here you go walt and you can make it the next time you have to make a new pair of shoos

http://www.mediafocus.com/images/previews/29021003.jpg

:D

In The Zone
11-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Lincon auto and a cheap spare for the kids to use..

LooseNuts
11-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Miller elite. nough said.
although i have a regular plain jane 2x4 flip down for doing stick and long flux core welds. i find its alot clearer to see when welding over head, than the auto dark.

i was working in an aluminum railing place with a couple buddys from school. they all had cheap auto darks, and i had the miller. they had problems with theirs. me, no problem. the way i figure it, a typical day during the busy season it would cycle 3000 times in a shift. at least.
if your a pro, use pro tools. although auto darks are really more for inshop use than feild use.

dirka dave
11-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Just close your eyes.

barracuda
11-02-2009, 12:53 PM
I may be interested in that if Walt don't want it Jay I could use a spare.

Throw me on the list after Walt and Dave :confused0006:

Troy
11-02-2009, 02:56 PM
although auto darks are really more for inshop use than feild use.

fuck that i have used mine when it was dumping snow last year all night long ever night. Or pissing out rain, covered in sawdust whatever.

i havent broke it yet after 4 years, only thing that happened was the other day the knob on the side for headgear adjustment thing broke, but i just moved it one hole over and its fine

Ironman
11-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Throw me on the list after Walt and Dave :confused0006:

i dont hold it for anyone. first person to put cash in my hands owns it.

m j
11-02-2009, 07:36 PM
KMS is having a sale on the "magnum" auto dark big view Nov 19-21 $50

the miller elite is $300, $350 with a cdn flag

Spedley
11-02-2009, 07:40 PM
I just picked up a Hobart flip style one the other day. Works awesome. Its not an auto darkening one, but for my garage its cool. IMHO you gotta be somewhat careful with how you treat the auto ones. Thats not sayin I dont like them tho. Have used the P.A. one, and it worked ok, but am in agreement with the others here when they say you only get one set of eyes. Arc flash SUCKS! I used a Jackson one a fair bit years ago, and it worked quite well. I really liked all the adjustments it had.

So, I guess my opinion is if you have the cash and are fairly easy on the equipment, get an automatic one. If your more frugal (read cheap like me), get the cheaper regular one.

UU
11-02-2009, 08:28 PM
all that was wrong w/ the other one was a 2" hole from dropping it ,anyone else smell burnt hair, and it could use some new sheilds

but I picked one up at KMS today, auto darkening w/ some buttons and knobs [blah]

barracuda
11-02-2009, 08:31 PM
which one the vaper???

UU
11-02-2009, 08:42 PM
which one the vaper???

yup

Gaybait
11-02-2009, 11:27 PM
miller elite.. hands down and all digital

LooseNuts
11-03-2009, 12:53 AM
fuck that i have used mine when it was dumping snow last year all night long ever night. Or pissing out rain, covered in sawdust whatever.

i havent broke it yet after 4 years, only thing that happened was the other day the knob on the side for headgear adjustment thing broke, but i just moved it one hole over and its fine

fair enough. i had a miller shit the bed on me in school though. was mostly my fault. i was welding over head with it lots, and managed to melt a little of the plastic. worked fine. dropped it out of my locker one day, and it stopped working. no warentee cause of the melt.
nice thing about a $20 flip down is you can destroy it and your only out $20.
that being said, i have been using my new miller for 4 months at the job i just got laid off from. and it has been flawless. my thought was just to be carefull with a $300 hood