PDA

View Full Version : My '87 Cherokee needs a little help.

thatshott101
10-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Hey,

So I'm having a few issues with my 2.5L Cherokee. It starts fine, idles pretty good, but as soon as I go to accelerate I get a hesitation, a sputter, and I'm forced to push the pedal down to keep it going. If I'm going up a hill, and I stop, it will die unless I keep my foot on the gas.

The other day I was pulling it in to my garage, and my driveway happens to be sloped, so to keep it from dying I had to push the gas pedal down. When i got out of the jeep I went to look at the back end of it and I saw that black carbon had puked out the back of the exhaust and on to my driveway. Not good..

Here is a list of things I've replaced so far...
- Spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor
- Oil and filter
- I had to put a Cat on it to pass air care, so it's new

So basically I need an idea of what to look at next. This has been an on going problem for about 3 weeks now, and I'm new to Jeeps. So please, someone, point me in the right direction!

TIA

-Chris (not kris)

poostang
10-27-2009, 07:19 PM
sounds like its running to rich ..............replace fuel filter ............pull pump out make sure hoses are tight on the pump...............check pressure at fuel rail...........check injectors...............

Happypants
10-27-2009, 07:32 PM
fuel filter, when my jeep did that it was the fuel filter, when my sisters did that, it was the fuel filter,

Chopstick
10-27-2009, 09:08 PM
sounds like its running to rich ..............replace fuel filter ............pull pump out make sure hoses are tight on the pump...............check pressure at fuel rail...........check injectors...............

[iagree]

poostang
10-27-2009, 11:02 PM
[iagree]

oh ya fyi pump is easy to pull out should be on side of tank metal oring holds it in

Chopstick
10-28-2009, 02:18 AM
change your fuel filter then check your fuel pressure to make sure your fuel pump is still good. save yourself time an effort before pulling the feul pump out

dirka dave
10-28-2009, 03:17 AM
Get squishy to have a look at it.

dh_4_ever
10-28-2009, 03:28 AM
in 87 was the 2.5L TBI or MPI? the TBI versions can get gummed up.. its less likely on the MPI.

thatshott101
10-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Get squishy to have a look at it.

its my sisters bf who is having the troubles, he bought my 87 jeep haha, him and squish where talking about it last night, i let chris use my account to ask about it since he doenst know much about 4x4's just knows about vw's... but thank god i have converted him into 4x4ing, he mentioned last night he is going to make an account up in fibc soon

thatshott101
10-28-2009, 08:39 AM
thnaks eveyrbody for the advice

NumbNucks
10-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Yes, thank you! (my account)

NumbNucks
10-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Oh and for the person asking if it's TBI..It is.

dh_4_ever
10-28-2009, 03:15 PM
take off the air box piping, and take a look at the injectors... probbally covered in oily crud. use some throttle body cleaner on em, but dont do it in excess, some of the sensors dont love that stuff..happy penis

NumbNucks
10-28-2009, 04:55 PM
take off the air box piping, and take a look at the injectors... probbally covered in oily crud. use some throttle body cleaner on em, but dont do it in excess, some of the sensors dont love that stuff..happy penis

Cool! I will do that for sure.

Whats everyone's opinion on seafoam? I'm thinking I might pick up a bottle and give that a shot as well.

pumpkin
10-28-2009, 10:44 PM
If it is running rich it probably wont be any of the above. It is more likely to be a computer input problem. Coolant temp sensor, map sensor, or vacume hose to it, and in some cases an O2 sensor. You can spend a lot of cash guessing, it usualy better to get it properly diagnosed.

Spedley
10-29-2009, 12:42 PM
If it is running rich it probably wont be any of the above. It is more likely to be a computer input problem. Coolant temp sensor, map sensor, or vacume hose to it, and in some cases an O2 sensor. You can spend a lot of cash guessing, it usualy better to get it properly diagnosed.

Agree 100%... If its rich, it will have too much fuel, so the fuel filter and pump should be supplying a sufficent amount of fuel. :dontknow:

Maybe sell it and buy a Toyota? :ballsmack

NumbNucks
11-03-2009, 02:52 PM
So, I changed the fuel filter, cleaned the TB, TPS, and it still has a rough idle and blows shit out of the back.

I know what you're all thinking, "Why not take it to a garage?" I would, I really would, but I'm fresh out of school, no job, and I need this thing to haul my ass around.

I do have a few more questions. If it had an over heating problem, would it cause it to run like this? Also I've been told by a few parts counter guys that it sounds like an O2 issue. Could that be accurate?

Either way I'm going to test the O2 and see what happens.

Josh_M
11-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Cool! I will do that for sure.

Whats everyone's opinion on seafoam? I'm thinking I might pick up a bottle and give that a shot as well.

Pretty cool stuff, made the tick in my ranger better then it was, wait till you see the smoke its fucking amazing !