PDA

View Full Version : 1980 cj 5

brovo26
10-25-2009, 09:18 PM
im having a bit of problems keeping my jeep running when i do get it running i took off the old hose that was from a boat and put two new hoses together i then made it idel alittle quieter and not like a tracktor i put a new hose on from the gas tank to the pump on the motor and then i took a hose from the carb to the air filter, when i took off the air filter it look like smoke was there???? :dontknow: :mad:

trencher
10-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Dude you need to use some punctuation. And try explaining what lines you changed a bit better. I think i got one from the tank the the fuel pump, one from the carb to the air filter out of that. How is it running??? Like a tractor isn't much help...i work on tractors and they run pretty good :rolleyes:

What happens when you hit the throttle? Will it hold an idle? Is it hard to start? I thought i read that in there somewhere. Is the engine smoking from the exhaust? If so what colour?

brovo26
10-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Dude you need to use some punctuation. And try explaining what lines you changed a bit better. I think i got one from the tank the the fuel pump, one from the carb to the air filter out of that. How is it running??? Like a tractor isn't much help...i work on tractors and they run pretty good :rolleyes:

What happens when you hit the throttle? Will it hold an idle? Is it hard to start? I thought i read that in there somewhere. Is the engine smoking from the exhaust? If so what colour?

ok the as i said im not that good with jeeps, but when i hit the throttle i gose and it will idle for a min or so then stop, yes it is hard to start there is a bit from the exhaust but where it was comming from was thru the carbs

xtremeyj
10-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Old gas? fucked carb? Need more info.

Tinker
10-26-2009, 04:17 PM
What motor? Started all of a sudden? I'm guessing a stretched chain or head gasket with the little info you have given.

brovo26
10-26-2009, 06:17 PM
What motor? Started all of a sudden? I'm guessing a stretched chain or head gasket with the little info you have given.

ok well i got it going for now all i did was put a nother pump onto the gas line that i ran and started good i guess i just needed to me less stress and calm about working on it thanks for the help guys

Tinker
10-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Changed the pump, or are running a second one? Running through a pump can limit your fuel pressure.

Happypants
10-26-2009, 09:30 PM
ok well i got it going for now all i did was put a nother pump onto the gas line that i ran and started good i guess i just needed to me less stress and calm about working on it thanks for the help guys

good to know cause i cant understand a fucking thing you said:confused: :confused:

Spedley
10-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Dude.... It makes it soooooo much easier to read when you actually use periods and commas... Not to be a grammar cop but...

Tinker
10-26-2009, 11:12 PM

Dude.... It makes it soooooo much easier to read when you actually use periods and commas... Not to be a grammar cop but...

I don't think punctuation would help much with a paragraph like that!

trencher
10-26-2009, 11:18 PM
ok the as i said im not that good with jeeps, but when i hit the throttle i gose and it will idle for a min or so then stop, yes it is hard to start there is a bit from the exhaust but where it was comming from was thru the carbs

If it dies it doesnt burn the fuel and will smoke out the carb....could be bad gas as suggested. Maybe outa time, maybe bad vacume advance, maybe you put the plug wirs on wrong. Need more info. Did it happen all of a sudden?? or just get gradually worse? Or is it something that hasnt ran for years and you're trying to make it gotumbleweed

brovo26
10-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Changed the pump, or are running a second one? Running through a pump can limit your fuel pressure.

im running two pumps now ones a hand pump and the other one is on the enging,just have to figure out how to take the blue smoke out of the ass end now

i did have it going when i first got it from the sunshine coast but as i slowly learn and work on it fixing what the guy that had it befor me done it slowly dies so i redone the starter fan belts power steering box and pumps and then i took out the lines that he put in and put new ones on for the gas, got a new altenator and then it didnt run so i checked all my lines that i did and then checked each spark plug and that was like dirty like a hooker on hastings cleand that all up did some more work and took out all the cut wiers and found out that nothing was really conected so almost 6 months now its almost compleat to run on the flats, just sucks i cant get plates for it untill i get a new body for it and new frame

trencher
10-26-2009, 11:20 PM
im running two pumps now ones a hand pump and the other one is on the enging,just have to figure out how to take the blue smoke out of the ass end now

Holy fuck never mind [16] [16] [16]

brovo26
10-30-2009, 02:48 PM
ok well im back under the hood again on the same problems, not turning over and not staying started, checked and cleaned all spark plugs changed the battery and the starter again thinking it was that but its not and im stuck there is no smoke comming out of the carbs and the gas was just got last night from the store

Tinker
11-02-2009, 10:19 AM
It's fucked! Take it to someone who knows how to diagnose it properly, save you alot of useless repairs (like changing a starter and battery). You can't run 2 pumps in line like that it can cause serious fuel pressure issues. Probably a stretched timing chain or skipped a tooth, no easy fix for that. If you continue to fuck with it you will most likely bend or break a valve and then the motor is beyond repair

And on another note, I may suggest that you try and read what you have typed BEFORE you post reply. Your posts make no sense and are extremely hard to read and understand. Go back and read what you have already posted and I'm sure you will agree.

brovo26
11-02-2009, 01:32 PM
It's fucked! Take it to someone who knows how to diagnose it properly, save you alot of useless repairs (like changing a starter and battery). You can't run 2 pumps in line like that it can cause serious fuel pressure issues. Probably a stretched timing chain or skipped a tooth, no easy fix for that. If you continue to fuck with it you will most likely bend or break a valve and then the motor is beyond repair

And on another note, I may suggest that you try and read what you have typed BEFORE you post reply. Your posts make no sense and are extremely hard to read and understand. Go back and read what you have already posted and I'm sure you will agree.

and when i tell her these things im doing it at 1am after work well there is time where im not only tpying things out my friend is while im yelling at her from the side of the house but at least she trys and helps me out i have been doing this project on my own with your guys advice on things

Tinker
11-02-2009, 02:52 PM
and when i tell her these things im doing it at 1am after work well there is time where im not only tpying things out my friend is while im yelling at her from the side of the house but at least she trys and helps me out i have been doing this project on my own with your guys advice on things

And not even a single period or even a comma to break it up a bit. I wish you luck with your project, you are gonna need it. Since you can't get it started a timing light won't help. Pull the number one cylinder plug, turn the motor over by hand to top dead center and check your distributer to make sure the rotor is lined up to ignite #1. And it's a four stroke so run with the possibilities: do you have fuel? Do you have compression? Do you have ignition? Without the the other three I know you don't have exhaust. Start at the basics and figure out what you do have and work backwards from there.