PDA

View Full Version : Steering issue fix?

bcwheeler
10-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Well my steering was gonna work for purpose of getting truck outta the shop but now we added another 3" of lift so the steering won't work Now. We were going to use the stock steering with an arm that buddy has but not gonna be long enough now I think a dodge king pin cap that raises the thingamajigger higher and with a 3" block I can get it rolling Any input on a quick fix.

Oh and spending $500 on a hi steer or crossover isn't a quick solution I'm able to do

so If Nyome has a dodge Dana 60 king pin cap I need it

dirka dave
10-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Don't cheap out on steering.

bcwheeler
10-24-2009, 12:15 PM
This is "JUST TO GET IT ROLLING !!!!". If it were gonna be on the road everyday than it would be different unless some one has a high steer and or crossover really fucking cheap!!!! Than it just needs to roll!!!

dirka dave
10-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Hey take a chill pill, you ask for advice, then you get all pised off.

Why bother putting in something that you are going to replace later ?

Are you building a rig or a farm truck or what. If its going to see the road at all don't put some cheasy steering in it. Thats all I am saying.

bcwheeler
10-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Buddy who's pissed ? This is a mint rig but all I need is to get it from the shop it is in to icbc and ten to my house. Like I said it's temprary and just to get it rolling. And if I had a fucking access to chill pills I'd eat the whole bottle

m j
10-24-2009, 06:37 PM
crossover is cheap
you need a steering arm, a pitman arm, some tubing, draglink ends
the steering arm is the only custom piece
the pitman can be a stock ford or jeep or whatever you find ina junkyard that looks like it will work

is it a chevy truck?? if so a 2wdr steering box or at least a 2wdr sector shaft will be needed so the splines will match all the pitmans

the tubing can be had at metal mart 1.25"x.219" DOM, maybe $7 a foot and you need about 3'

if you cannot find anyone to tap it for you the taps are $70 for right and $90 for left
you can cheap out and just do all rights

rather then spend $$ doing it bad then have to respend money to do it right just do it once

bcwheeler
10-24-2009, 08:39 PM
I appreciate the input but as I don't know f**k about s**t when it comes to this shit Im gonna find it hard to build this shit blind. I still need the steering arm which is how much I have a 2wd box and I can afford to buy the tubing and have them tapped at ott it's $25 a hole or something but then it's the ends which I have right? And how do I know which one off a junker is gonna work I mean will the ones off my half ton diff work or the one outta my jeep If I could just find a good used steering arm. No one seems to have one.

m j
10-24-2009, 10:23 PM
is it a chevy?
I have a no bling plate steering arm you could have for $100 that I ran on my chevy
the ends are up to you, what you got now will work if they arent fuckered
if you have stock chevy drag link ends you have to ream the pitman a bit bigger
if you use a chevy TRE you dont have to ream the pitman arm IIrC
a drop pitman is something like $70usd last I looked and I bet a stock one is a lot cheaper at pickapart
as too which stock one...there are about a thousand that will fit the 2wdr chevy steering box you just have to choose one that you like on your ride
without ever seeing your ride I cant say what one is best
if it is real tall then you prolley need a drop pitman, if it is 6" or 8" lift you might get away with a stock 1/2 ton ford arm that is pretty flat
it is always easier on the frame to use a flatter arm

I ruined my LH tap again so cant help you there

poostang
10-24-2009, 10:23 PM
if your putting it on the road for 5 seconds do a proper steering setup ..............otherwise keep it on a trailer and dont put lives at risk ...........

In The Zone
10-25-2009, 09:39 AM
do it right make it tight, if ya cant steer you will spill your beer..

seriously though my full hi steer only set me back 800.00 included both arms tre's draglink, and tie rod
for d 60 kp not bad and steers great[36]

bcwheeler
10-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Ok again I appreciate the input. And again if I ha the 5-800 I would have already got brand new set up but between all the other extra cost and the fact I have like 3 days to get this thing out of buddies garage I needed a quick fix to get this thing probably 10 km

85chevy
10-25-2009, 11:34 AM
call a tow truck???

dirka dave
10-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Remember when you were a kid and built go carts, two ropes through the side windows.

gigity.

:D

bcwheeler
10-25-2009, 12:08 PM
That didn't work for us I was raised on a beach in tropics but it might be like when we would make catamarans outta our surfboards And picnic tables and try to play in hurricanes storm surges on main boulevard used ropes and small children to steer with. Is that kinda the same ?

dirka dave
10-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Yeppers !!

:party0010:

UU
10-25-2009, 01:42 PM
whose got pills ????

why don't you know fuck about shit ?

where are the pics of this "alleged truck'' you speak of ?

Vastier
10-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Sounds like a trailer or tow would be your best bet