PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal (hole on inside chase of water pump)

bcwheeler
10-05-2009, 06:11 PM
left hand side between two blades 116308

bcwheeler
10-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Im trying to figure out why this damned thing keep overheating drives fine then loses heat and then engine temp rises , every once in a while when cornering you can hear water slushing around in the dash area...just had a full flush and test of the system presures all was ok I guess ... got the water pump off and found this hole..
I havent taken the spare off of my jeep yet to compare getting dark so posting here...

Happypants
10-05-2009, 06:31 PM
the one on bingers jeep didnt have a hole there,

m j
10-05-2009, 06:50 PM
is that for the heater hose?

bcwheeler
10-05-2009, 06:55 PM
I just went to compare one at lordco and it has a small one the size of a b.b. it doesnt make any difference its jsut been cracked open more than a new one ,, think it may be the heatere core? anyone every done one?

bcwheeler
10-05-2009, 07:11 PM
ok so heater core? any way to bypass and what happends when you bypass it

Happypants
10-05-2009, 07:16 PM
should be 2 lines running into the firewall, pull them and put a sleve in to connect them, 2 clamps and done, no heat though, thats the only thing,

bcwheeler
10-05-2009, 07:23 PM
but I can do that just to see if the truck stops over heating right?>

duff
10-05-2009, 07:50 PM
a pluged heater core shouldent make your truck overheat, but yah you can buypass it incase its resticting flow a bit, if it was pluged it would allready be prity cold inside your truck though, if thats the water pump that came off you truck I would be a little woried about all the piting behind the impeler posibly causing the coolant to cavitate in there and not get pumped around as much as it should be, I hope your puting on a new one with a t-stat?, when you have the heater lines off to the heater core stick a garden hose on one and flush the core out, fush bolth directions, if you get a bunch of rusty crap out of there, and you truck still gets hot after the new water pump and t-stat, you might have a pluged rad.

bcwheeler
10-05-2009, 08:13 PM
I had the rad flushed under pressure at the great canadian oil change , flusher typey place thingy..and unless thier full of shit , they said everything was fine.. Im gonna put the one off my jeep on there cause its only got like 500 k on it.. The T-stat is new I replaced it after replacing it so its had two since these problems started .. so less than 500 k on it as well .
Ill try to flush the heater core to see how gross it is in there , should I use hi pressure? is there an additive I can get to help clean it out ? and if it is a plugged rad then shoudl it it be flushed again or just replaced ?

bcwheeler
10-05-2009, 08:15 PM
oh and what coul dcause that pitting?

dirka dave
10-05-2009, 08:18 PM
oh and what coul dcause that pitting?

Pitting is caused by either 1- cavation ( little air bubbles) 2- corrosion due to lack of antifreeze.

[cheers]

bcwheeler
10-05-2009, 08:23 PM
ok the low anti freeze I get but what causes the bubbles?

dirka dave
10-05-2009, 08:25 PM
The antifoaming agent in antifreeze stops the foaming, if you run high water content ( or stave water) it will bubble.

Cavation could also caused by improper casting of the pump or blades bent.

bcwheeler
10-05-2009, 08:28 PM
ok thanks dave guess I ll look at the one on my jeep to see if its any better..

but heres one more ??? Could this pitting cause the over heating issues Ive been having and why are the over heating issues not all the time, as well as whast the water slushign around in the dash from ?

dirka dave
10-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Not sure about the shushing in your dash, but if the area is worn enough, it will defiantly affect coolant flow.

Seen it a hundred times in hydrolic systems, you would be amazed at how fast it can happen.

m j
10-05-2009, 08:45 PM
sloshing sound could be just an airpocket
an airpocket will cause overheating

bcmaxx
10-05-2009, 09:47 PM
I had problems getting all the air out of my system 89 4.0 with the little turtle tank. Mine would either over cool or overheat. My remedy was to install an inline filler neck in the upper rad hose (highest point in system) . Ended my problems being able to get the air out, and got rid of that gay little turtle tank for a real overflow tank.

StinkFinger
10-06-2009, 07:43 PM
the sloshing in the dash is cause its a jeep all 3 of my moms have done it and none of them have had heating ishues i would think its a rad problem

Tinker
10-06-2009, 10:53 PM
I had problems getting all the air out of my system 89 4.0 with the little turtle tank. Mine would either over cool or overheat. My remedy was to install an inline filler neck in the upper rad hose (highest point in system) . Ended my problems being able to get the air out, and got rid of that gay little turtle tank for a real overflow tank.

What he said! Have you checked the coolant fer hydrocarbons? Maybe a head gasket!

dirka dave
10-07-2009, 11:56 AM
I am having the same problem with Muddy wheelere's toy/sammy...

I took her waterpump into work and had some of the guys look at it ( It was pitted on the impeller and in the WP housing), she is have a few problems with her cooling system also.

The Mechanics and one engeneer sugested the same thing, but when I was running it there were no no tiny bubbles that are usually associated with a head gskt failure, there would also be a sweet smell in the exhaust and/or white smoke.

I am leaning towards a pluged rad and and scale build up in the coolant passages for hers.

It's a brain teaser, both problems.:confused0006: :confused0006:

dh_4_ever
10-07-2009, 02:03 PM
cavitation is what happened to my pump when the rad was blocked. new rad solved the problem. but a good flush at a rad shop would probbally do just as good.

bcwheeler
10-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Did the flush once b myself once at shop

dh_4_ever
10-07-2009, 07:26 PM
I pulled the rad all the way out and had it pressure flushed, more than you can do with a hose. I also got it pressure tested, cost me like 30 bucks. it was at skips radiator in abby, by carrier spring.

duff
10-07-2009, 08:49 PM
half the rad can be pluged and the flush will just flush through the other half, I like to get the truck good and hot, wait for the t-stat to open then hose the rad down with water so its wet all over the core, then watch to see if the whole thing dryes off or not, if its pluged the pluged part will stay wet.

dirka dave
10-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Or, you could use a laser thermometer to check the rad.

duff
10-08-2009, 09:31 AM
yah he could go spend a hundred bucks on a laser thermometer

dirka dave
10-08-2009, 12:39 PM
yah he could go spend a hundred bucks on a laser thermometer

I think you can pick them up at Cambodia Tire for about $25 now.

Trailjunkie
10-08-2009, 01:37 PM
go to gary's buy a metal rad [ not plastic] and install a flushing t in your heater hose. when filling remove the lid from the flushing t and place something under it to raise it above the rest of the lines. fill through the rad and youl here the air puishing through the t till you get fluid. next drive rig into mud and or rocks.