PDA

View Full Version : jeep transmission help

Toyquad
10-04-2009, 10:20 PM
father inlaw has a 92 or 93 grand cherokee. v8 auto.

Today while driving home after fishing, the transmission started acting up. driving along and all of a sudden its like its in neutral. engine revs but no drive, reverse.... anything. so we pulled over, checked oil etc. all ok. get in it and try driving and its fine.................... for abour 2km's then same thing. So pull over again, shut it off, wait 30seconds and start it up and start driving. Again its fine for 2 or so km's then its like its stuck in neutral. we limped it like that all the way home. It did not matter what gear you had it in, weather the o/d was in or out. It was basically a minute of driving then all you had was neutral.

any ideas? I'm leaning towards an electrical problem rather then mechanical..... but any tips or advice would be great

xtremeyj
10-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Pump shot?

crazylike
10-05-2009, 12:13 PM
transmission control module?

ROBO
10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
scan the thing.. see what codes its got if any..

Happypants
10-05-2009, 03:58 PM
it will be the tcm, the grand cherokees have major electrical issues with the trannys and the wiring auctually lighting on fire,

Toyquad
10-06-2009, 01:16 AM
lol thats funny, went for a test drive again today and smelt burning electrical inside the jeep. where bouts is the tcm located?

Happypants
10-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Lmfao, sorry! If it's the one I'm thinking of Its on the drivers side of the tranny I think! Not sure though, got a manual for it?

Always broke
10-06-2009, 06:04 PM
What area do you live in i have a scanner here if ya need it

Happypants
10-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Could also try the key thing, on-off 3 times and the check engine light will flash, say it's code 35, it will flash 3 times then there will be a pause then 5 more flashes, if you have a haynes manual the codes will be in the book along with the problem that the code is showing

Toyquad
10-06-2009, 09:22 PM
cool i tell the father inlaw to grab a manual. Its in maple ridge. I'll take a look around for the tcm and any burnt wires etc. If it appears to be alot of work or money it will probably be scrapped as the motors got low compression in one whole anyway.