PDA

View Full Version : body lift

beerwagon302
09-30-2009, 08:15 AM
hi im doin a 3 inch body on my 91 pickup and i know im goin to have to lengthen the shifters and i heard ill have to get a new peice of steering linkage. does anyone have any pointers about doing this body lift???
i know body lifts suck but im broke and need lift!:dontknow:

Jayota
09-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Buy a performance accessories bl from lordscam... cost me $130

I would recomend you replace all the main body bolts they send you with grade 5 or 8 bolts. They supply grade 3 bolts.... I forgot to change mine out :(

It will give you pretty much everything you need to get it done.

-pucks
-hardware
-rad drop brackets
-ground extensions (if needed, I had a few leftover brackets)
-firewall plate (steering colum runs thru this into the engine bay)
-steering exention
-weld in bed supports
-3" peices of cold rolled steel to weld into your shifters
-instructions.
-front bumper lift brackets

I would recomend spraying all your main body bolts with a good penetrent. PB plaster, liquid wrench and so on... Hit them a few times over a few days before you giver.

Make sure you got a good floor jack and about 2-3 4ft 2x4's to help spread the load of your jack along the rocker.

Make sure you get a buddy to help, a second pair of hands is really helpfull!

I had to extend my gas filler neck, I just used a 2-1.5" rubber coupling from rona.
My stock intake no longer fit, it was old and brittle so I made a new intake.
My positive cable had to be re-routed so it was long enough.

I had my shifter extensions welded in, I had to bend the shifter slightly to clear the t-case shifter. I probibly shoudlve bent the t-case shifter instead but what can you do...
I flipped the inner shifter boots to allow me to hit reverse and 4th perfect.

Oh, and body lifts aren't junk. Look at most hardcore rigs, most of them have a body lift. They allow so much more room to work on stuff, add cooling abilities, add tire clearance without the increased COG much, and there is always the option of doing a drivetrain lift for a flatbelly :D

beerwagon302
10-01-2009, 08:08 AM
o ok thats really helpful jayota, thnx for the tips[36]

mus-Tard
10-01-2009, 12:19 PM
get a kit. instructons are in it. my shifters just sank into the floor and my stearing column extended on its own.

dirka dave
10-01-2009, 01:17 PM
I like body lifts, they give you good tire clearance.

I have a 3" in my 82, and a 2" in my 97.

beerwagon302
10-01-2009, 11:17 PM
very true are there good brands or just same ol shit:confused0006:

98ranger
10-02-2009, 02:31 PM
PA is probably one of the better. But its a body lift, not a car lol. All are pretty much equal.

Look on Summitracing.com. You can usually get their "summit" brand body lift. Literally the exact same as the PA lift, but branded as summit.

Jayota
10-07-2009, 03:23 PM
My PA kit was $130 from lordco.. and I had it in a few days (first they gave me a 2nd gen kit!).

Just make sure you upgrade the mounting hardware. They use grade 3 bolts, I would put in grade 8 or better!

4crawler.com makes some of the best kits available, but they are pricey!

p.s nice rig, seen it around before :)

beerwagon302
10-07-2009, 11:03 PM
wicked thanks guys[cheers]