PDA

View Full Version : Lost pics

lizard
09-03-2009, 05:22 PM
this should be a sticky

Okay everyone backup your good pics cuz shit happens

I lost 2005, 2007 ,most of 2008.......... all my macro (4 years worth ) and to top it all off my hunting folder of 7 plus years of hunting.

I had others gone too, like my daughters pics of her first 3 years but I had those BU on disc .plus we had a bunch printed ,

these were on 3 separate HD's , on 2 computers and OS, the other an external HD .

how did they get deleted ?
when ?

dont know , I blame computers left running (downloading or file tranfers)and a 1.5 year old boy but I have no proof ..His pics were fine :confused0006:

Backing up my shits a pain to do on disc's as I can shoot 10 gigs worth in a trip @ 12 mp+ , thats why I have a 1TB for backup photo's .I now also have a 640g HD that I hotswap right out . so all my stuff is now on 3 HD's (triple backup) , I will also get some DL discs and backup my Fav's.(quad backup)

So go get a external drive..... there dirt cheap , back up your pics ect
THEN unplug it from your computer. Only use it to backup then put it away .

Go get some dvd's and also burn your stuff then put them away , a fireproof safe would be ideal . Or just burn your Favs atleast.Disc's are probably 2nd safest.......... if not used ,just stored away , maybe good for 25yrs

Go online and print out some pics like the good old days .and put them in a album.pics last along time if printed properly on good paper and stored properly.

seriously do it this weekend ..

I have recovered about 80% of my stuff but it took 2 weeks and I lucked out and found alot on a old HD that I had formatted but never used .I still have to sort them out , delete doubles ect...it willtake days to do!! . plus alot of the info / exif is lost . Raw pics do seem to recover better then jpegs .

So just think if all the shit was lost .....years down the drain ....

1- prints
2- disc's
3- HD's
--- NOTE -- do NOT shrink your pics to fit on a disc , they will be forever that size and will not be able to resized up/back to original size to print

Its a easy CHEAP fix ...........DONT SAY U WERE NOT WARNED

curlee
09-03-2009, 05:25 PM
excellent post.. todd just about lost all his photos and managed to get them off an old hard drive.. back it up people!

OldEnuff
09-03-2009, 05:27 PM
James

I have some excellent programs that will recover deleted files and even stuff off hard drives after multiple re-formatting.

Just stop using the disks until you try this otherwise you could actually overwrite the files and then ya cant get them back

PM me or call my cell

Jim

I see you have already recovered a lot, I should read he whole post before replying I guess

lizard
09-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Yah Iave been using them , problem is those work good if u notice the delete right away , I never noticed for awhile (when I went to backup the island trip) and I always defrag which kills alot of any recovering .

Honky
09-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Shiity news James but great post. I did buy a back up hard drive but I haven't backed up yet...i'll do it this weekend

I did have a damaged and formated drive and I thought I lost all my pics but I took to a place in Vancouver and they got all my old pics back

Chopstick
09-03-2009, 07:30 PM
i forgot to back up my pics from this year onto my external hard drive, i left the computer on while i was camping at the newbie run... when i got back it crashed, i think i lost everything

dirka dave
09-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Mine crashed two years ago, lost all my music.

Now I have a 500g external drive with an on/off switch.

Everything gets backed up every month.

kootenaycat
09-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Always worry about losing my pics so I bought a 500G external last year plus I make back up DVD's couple times a year which isn't enough but at least I'll only lose the latest stuff.

FKN MRK
09-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Shiity news James but great post. I did buy a back up hard drive but I haven't backed up yet...i'll do it this weekend

I did have a damaged and formated drive and I thought I lost all my pics but I took to a place in Vancouver and they got all my old pics back

[cheers] Do ya still have a name and number for this place? I need some pics recovered from my back up drive. It was an external drive... a chip on the drived board went up in smoke :(

hamberger
09-04-2009, 12:03 AM
I have no idea what your all babbling about. I have a shelf full of Photo albums and a fireproof box full of negatives.......blow off the dust and your good to go.:dontknow:

ham

MuddyWheeler
09-04-2009, 04:54 AM
I have no idea what your all babbling about. I have a shelf full of Photo albums and a fireproof box full of negatives.......blow off the dust and your good to go.:dontknow:

ham

Hahahaha
Dinosaur:D

bond
09-05-2009, 07:46 PM
What type of program did you run?
I use "get Data Back" on my customers drives and have a 98% success rate.
If you use torrent downloads you may be able to find it.
The program has 2 types, Fat 32 or NTFS. Just pick what you need.