PDA

View Full Version : cb's and two way radios...

clint
08-24-2009, 08:56 PM
hey all...

im thinking i would like two way radio in my truck. dont know much if anything at all about them. who's running what? are "cb" radios the only option? are there guys running vhf fm transcievers? if so freq's? whats popular and works. i'd like to have the ability to call mile markers and also discuss trail etc....with other rigs on the trail....

any feedback? suggestions?

nbrowser
08-24-2009, 09:38 PM
The the most part, most of us use a CB radio in our rigs....just more range than say an FRS radio, especially if your antenna is properly tuned. some use VHF if they are going further into the wilderness than most do. As far as CB channels, the usual FIBC home is channel 4....dunno why but that's what it is.

mus-Tard
08-24-2009, 10:57 PM
CB, four wheelers on 4, truck drivers on 1

D-Ass
08-25-2009, 12:26 AM
cb is what we use because you don't need a licence any more and they have a half decent range hand held walky are crap for any real bush use

m j
08-25-2009, 05:18 AM
for calling milemarkers you are gonna need a VHF
programmable so you can select the freq for the road you are on.
CB are pretty useless unless you are real close

Landy_Andy
08-25-2009, 07:51 AM
As MJ notes above, ideally you need a VHF if your going to be on (active) logging roads alot. With regards to programability, to follow the letter of the law they (VHF's) can't be programmed by the user (ie, logging truck driver). However, if your travelling around alot & visiting areas that you don't normally wheel in, then carrying a laptop to enter new freq's is a PITA, so, if you want a VHF look for one that can be user programmed via the front panel. The Kenwood TK-760d is a good option and they come up for sale on Eblag from time to time. If you go for one of them watch out for the varient letter, the 'g/h' isn't the same & I don't know if it can be modified like the 'd' for front panel programming. To operate a VHF you also need a permit from Industry Canada (to be 100% legal), however.... safety is always paramount.

A CB is also very useful for close vehicle/vehicle comms and is better than nothing at all. I have VHF at present (and a permit) but will be installing a CB as well to cover all the bases.

Andy

m j
08-25-2009, 07:21 PM
a permit...really. never met anyone that had one before.

icom IC2200h can be made wide open by pulling one diode outa the front panel. cheap too

Lurker
08-26-2009, 07:32 AM
TAD M10. It's got a 4 digit code that you pick and have to enter every time the power gets cut off to the unit. Three wrong entries to guess the code, and it's useless to anyone who swipes it. Hopefully the idiots know that before they yank it out.

It's also got a 4 digit dealer code to get into the dealer programming. I'm comfortable with it, it's never let me down.

J20
08-26-2009, 07:40 AM
i got both cb and VHF .......i also have a ham license to go with the VHF.........cb is the best place to start

ShuswapRedneck
08-26-2009, 11:36 AM
I have a CB and a VHF. Most truckers use the VHF (LAD 1), until you get back east, where most truckers use the CB (Chan 19). Channels for the CB are 1 west of Kamloops, 19 East of Kamloops, channel 9 for emergency and call-outs. You "need" a licence for a VHF, though most people don't have one. If you go cross border to the states, take the VHF out, as you will be stopped at the border with it, or if you make it in, then you're looking at either a hefty fine or an arrest if you get caught with it. VHF is the way to go if you're looking for long range communication, but I've had a CB for years and with a properly tuned antenna the range is pretty good as well. I have a Motorolla VHF with about 40 channels pre-programmed, and a 40 channel Cobra CB with weatherband (very handy), and a Wilson single antenna. When shopping for a CB, splurge on one that has antenna tuning capability so you can set it up on the fly, rather than having to hook it to a meter, and an antenna that has a length adjustment screw.

Hand held VHF radios do not have near as much range as truck mounted ones, but are still better than a CB. Not sure on FRS as I've never used one.

85chevy
08-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Actually I was wondering haven't really done anything with them but I picked up a couple vhf radios from work but haven't bothered to mount them in my truck yet but I was wondering how u go about getting the license for them since well I never bothered looking into it yet because they ended up in the storage locker for now. Might have to get a cb for my truck too such a pain when u wanna tell some one whats going on.

ShuswapRedneck
08-26-2009, 07:11 PM
to get a license, go to a place that sells radios and ask

dirka dave
08-26-2009, 08:58 PM
I prefer to use smoke signals.

vajayjay
08-26-2009, 09:04 PM

So you can only communicate in the winter then

Theres a fire ban ya know:WTF

Nutbar
08-26-2009, 09:09 PM

But then the only reply you get is Factor pushing his bannoc:D

InteriorZR2
08-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Here is a link to Industry Canada's online applications page. Make sure to put in the frequencies that you are wanting to run, and if you are wanting to use "road" frequencies (for logging roads, ie; Tolko, Gormas etc) that you attach letters of permission from the frequency owners. Most logging companies are willing to give you these if you let them know that you will be traveling on their roads and are concerned about safety.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/sd-sd.nsf/eng/home

Troubler
08-26-2009, 10:05 PM
For someone starting out, a CB would be the best IMO.

The Cobra from Wally Mart ($89) would do teh trick do the trick. we always use channel 16 (4x4=?)...

85chevy
08-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks InteriorZR2

westcoaster
08-29-2009, 07:53 AM
Industry Canada and truck safe BC are in the process of changing the way two way radio's are being used on logging roads.
There have been trials going on over on the island and up around tumbler ridge.
They are considering going with 42 narrow band frequencies province wide This will make it much easier as there will only be a set number of frequencies for the entire province (making a field programmable radio obsolete since most commercial radios have more channeles available than that)

Ham equipment won't work as that is not narrow band capable. some commercial radio's won't work as that is not narrow band capable.

Careful of any used gear you might get. It simply may not work for the new channels they are proposing....

TJFTW
08-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Is it hard to calibrate the antenna and such? Im looking at the cobra 19 its cheap and small. I just need something to communicate with the group

ShuswapRedneck
08-29-2009, 06:13 PM
it's not hard to calibrate, just need to find someone with a meter.

fullsizebronco
08-29-2009, 08:31 PM
I had no idea there was so much to just cbs! Almost makes me not want to finnish putting mine in!

Lazybaka
08-29-2009, 09:43 PM
I've a meter, it's not hard to do and always a good excuse to go wheel to a large open field to tune ;)

hrd4mud
08-30-2009, 10:01 AM
I dunno about your neck of the woods, but here in the Kootenays no logging trucks even have cb's cause they dont get any range, they all have 2 ways. Each road has a sign posted with its channel which switches frequently as theres 3 sawmills that use the same areas and each has a few different channels.

I wheel a lot withought one, trucks usually operate from 4 am to 7 pm, so be more carefull at those times, go slow around blind corners and hug the ditch its better to go into the ditch then a 100,000 lb loaded logging truck, cause Ive seen em theres not much of the pickup left. Your safer now that wcb limits the loads to gvw, they used to be as much as would fit, ive seen a load so big it snapped the axle in half coming down the mountain.

Rubiconmike
08-30-2009, 01:35 PM
I have a swr meter here in Delta if some one needs there antenna tuned.
Just PM me.
________
Roll Blunts (http://howtorollablunt.net/)

m j
08-30-2009, 02:24 PM
I had no idea there was so much to just cbs! Almost makes me not want to finnish putting mine in!

truthfully all the tuning etc is BS.
bolt it in, run power and antenna wire, stick an antenna on it, done.

anyone claiming the wire has to be a certain length etc is full of it.

regulate34
08-30-2009, 02:28 PM
i love my cobra bc
i hooked up the PA out put and now i yell dirty things at people
its great
it is also very good for trail communication

oh and MJ i secont that i just bolted mine up and she works just great

Lazybaka
08-30-2009, 03:02 PM
truthfully all the tuning etc is BS.
bolt it in, run power and antenna wire, stick an antenna on it, done.

anyone claiming the wire has to be a certain length etc is full of it.

and you have the facts to back this up ?

m j
08-30-2009, 04:05 PM
and you have the facts to back this up ?

are you one of those CB radio nerds that believes you need a set length of coax between the antenae and radio?
facts are few and far between in cb radio geek land.

dirka dave
08-30-2009, 06:53 PM
But then the only reply you get is Factor pushing his bannoc:D

:happy0045: :happy0045: :happy0045: :happy0045: :happy0045:

oh yeah

...................HI.......................HOW... ................ARE............................... .......YA.........................HI.............. ...HOW..........

ShuswapRedneck
08-30-2009, 08:14 PM
before I tuned my antenna, I couldn't pick up the weather advisory channel in Sicamous from my house. After I tuned it, I get it loud and clear. It may work fine without tuning it, it will work better when tuned. And, yes, you do need a certain length of wire between the antenna and the radio, as well as if you're running 2 antennas, they need to be at least 8 feet apart. As well, you need a different size coax for single antenna's than with duals.

Lazybaka
08-30-2009, 08:31 PM
/me nods

Rubiconmike
08-30-2009, 10:13 PM
http://www.stu-offroad.com/cb/cb_install-1.htm
________
VOLCANO VAPORIZER REVIEW (http://vaporizers.tv/)

m j
08-31-2009, 05:10 AM
http://www.stu-offroad.com/cb/cb_install-1.htm

here you go from the same site...
http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/myth-1.htm