PDA

View Full Version : head gasket

Reeseman
08-23-2009, 09:29 PM
My truck is over heating really bad. I pulled the thermostat and no change. It I presureing up the cooling system really bad I just want to confirm that it is a head gasket.

longhorn
08-23-2009, 09:40 PM
That doesnt mean its the headgasket.
Your rad could be screwed , your block could be cracked , hell even your rad cap could be screwed.
It could be a water pump........................, it could be lots of stuff other than a head gasket!

mus-Tard
08-23-2009, 09:45 PM
hose off your rad. get the mud off. head gasket puffs white or can also put a bubble into your cooling system that will eventuly have to releave its preasure

Reeseman
08-23-2009, 09:49 PM
That doesnt mean its the headgasket.
Your rad could be screwed , your block could be cracked , hell even your rad cap could be screwed.
It could be a water pump........................, it could be lots of stuff other than a head gasket!
Looks like the coolant is circulating but I will yank the pump in the morning

Reeseman
08-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Water pump would not presure the cooling system up

mus-Tard
08-23-2009, 09:52 PM
just spend a few min first and clean the rad realy good reece. l have had to do it plenty of times. even a coat of dust can insulate the rad and keep it from cooling properly

longhorn
08-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Water pump would not presure the cooling system up
OH? Well ive had water pumps go and the cooling system sure as hell got hot and pressured up........................

OldEnuff
08-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Yeah waht he said

the water pump does not pressurize anything it just circulates the water

the engine heat pressurizes the system

If yer system is not pressurizing you got a leak going somewhere

check you oil for water as it will screww up your bearings pretty quickly when too much water is in the oil

otherwise you would see water leakeing somewhere or lots of steam (white puff) in your exhaust

good luck

hrd4mud
08-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Check the clutchfan,

I went into some DEEP water with my old Ramcharger, would always heat up when stopped or going slow, but was fine if going fast. Swapped fan and was all good.

Reeseman
08-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Yeah waht he said

the water pump does not pressurize anything it just circulates the water

the engine heat pressurizes the system

If yer system is not pressurizing you got a leak going somewhere

check you oil for water as it will screww up your bearings pretty quickly when too much water is in the oil

otherwise you would see water leakeing somewhere or lots of steam (white puff) in your exhaust

good luck
I pulled the water pump and it is good. I stoped at a car wash and cleaned rad out I am running a electric fan. With it on all the time it still heats up. the oil has not water in it. I pulled the thermostat and with out it it still gets hot. the rad cap is 2 months old and the rad was done not that long ago. And there is no white smoke. What is it?

epic3
08-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Have you pressure checked the sytem?
You do it with a pump that attaches to your filler neck.

Reeseman
08-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Ya and there are no leaks. It is not cooling

five.0L
08-24-2009, 09:41 AM
excessive exhaust back pressure?
lose belts?
over working ur engine?
coolant mixture?
and could be a hooped head gasket aluminum swells faster than a cast iron block so maybe the holes are are sweeling in the head gasket and restricting flow

jayinsurrey
08-24-2009, 10:03 AM
my head gasket went and the way I knew it was the head gasket was because the coolant smelled like combustion gases, but there was no coolant in the oil. There was a small leak in the head gasket and I guess the exhaust gases were getting into the coolant somehow, and areating the coolant. I dunno thats my 2 cents

Reeseman
08-24-2009, 11:17 AM
all good now I changed the pump flushed the coolant and changed the cap washed the rad and it is ok now. Any one have a 2 core rad they want to part with for an older ford.

five.0L
08-24-2009, 11:22 AM
i may no someone with one but they would want cash

Reeseman
08-24-2009, 11:47 AM
cash is ok

five.0L
08-24-2009, 12:07 PM
k well how much do you want to pay and where do you live?
and what are the measurements?

'Balmer
08-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Glad to hear you got it figured Reese!

dirka dave
08-24-2009, 01:23 PM
loose some weight ? :dontknow:

:D

fullsizebronco
08-29-2009, 07:34 PM
why only a 2 core rad?