PDA

View Full Version : '95 Abused 4Runner, what to do...

sanegrrl
08-18-2009, 07:44 AM
When I first started playing in the backcountry, snow, and etc - I bought this '95, well-used 4Runner off of a friend for 4500, including the roof rack with snowboard and bike attachments.

Due to a faulty antenna, the suv makes a racket when starting up or shutting down when the stereo is left on. It sounds kind of like a donkey, and as such, the truck earned the name "the Burro" or "Burrito" when being affectionate.

Anyhoo, cut to 3 years later, and and already abused truck is now further deteriorated.

It's rusty, there's a long list of repairs needed beginning with repairing a CV joint and a full brake job just to get it drivable again.

After that, the a/c is blown, the motors in the electric windows are failing, the backdoor doesn't open, window doesn't open, the sunroof motor is failing and I'm pretty sure there's a leak in it which is heading down the passenger side of the vehicle toward the windshield. The left turn indicator is missing, and probably a full replace of the front bumper wouldn't be a bad idea. There's also a good chance the engine isn't firing on all 6.... oh, and let's not forget the rust. There is a lot of rust. The battery connections could use a little attention... and by now I'm sure it needs a fresh battery. There's nothing mint on it. The interior condition is just as bad.

The vehicle is sitting on a friend's property in BC. It's a US vehicle, however.

The idea of "importing" the vehicle into Canada seems silly. The idea of towing it back to Seattle seems silly. In fact, almost every idea I have had seems silly.

Ideally, someone would want my 4Runner for something and would have something I need for my Jeep or my Chevy (or my beemer for that matter, although I dunno what my beemer needs, except a 4x4 conversion hahaha)

The idea of listing it on craigslist, etc, seems untenable because of where the vehicle is. Unless someone happens to be going to Meager Hot springs, no one is going to just "go have a look".

I've had a hankering to learn more automotive arts, and I considered using it as a project car. But when I'm being honest about the time I have for such an endeavor, and that I don't really have a place to keep the project, and because I have, as of yet, not found my mechanic mentor - this one keeps falling into the silly bucket, too.

I guess the last sort of idea is donating it to charity for the tax write off... but honestly, that just seems cruel. It wouldn't be charitable. Hah.

So you smarty pants types... what wisdom have you to impart?

Teach me!

:confused:

-sg

DeeDee
08-18-2009, 08:01 AM
I donno if ur aware but most people dont wanna read that much [cheers]

:)

90toy
08-18-2009, 09:15 AM
looks better than my beat 92 runner. if i had space or sumthing to give your for it id make you an offer but i dont so good luck in the quest to do something with it

dirka dave
08-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Can you permit it to get it to a place that you can do the fundemental repairs ?

sanegrrl
08-18-2009, 11:49 AM
heh.. well the tires aren't bad... and the muffler is new. haha!

RE: Dirka Dave - yeah, but the only person who I think it makes financial sense to is someone who already has a 4Runner and might want parts of this one. I think there are better 4Runners out there to use as a base.

I forgot to mention it's got 260,000 miles on it.

RE: DeeDee... ty for the info. :)

I think I should just take off a couple of the good things, sell or trade 'em separately, and salvage yard the rest.

dirka dave
08-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Toyotas are fairly simple to fix, might be worth a bit of time to get it running.

Do you know anyone that could go look it and give you a second opinion ?

sanegrrl
08-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Mebbe that's what I should craigslist for... maybe I could trade the thule stuff to someone for checking it out...

How hard is a CV joint to repair? And by repair, I mean replace or whatever... Once that is done - the thing could be driven to a shop. The brakes are bad, but they'd get down the pavement a stretch.

What is the value of an hour of diagnostics and a CV repair? (assuming I bought the parts.) (and assuming it's a backyard repair, not in a well equipped shop.)

vajayjay
08-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Toyotas are fairly simple to fix, might be worth a bit of time to get it running.

Do you know anyone that could go look it and give you a second opinion ?

I knew you drove toyotas for a reason

As for what to do part it out or call a scrapper I'd do the scrapper thing with it being a toyota and all:D

regulate34
08-18-2009, 09:23 PM
from reading your first poast it sounds and looks like you have you selfe a bonafied bush truck
so put a new batterie in it , rip the sterio out and buy a ipod
and drive it till i blows up and call a tow truck and give them a fake address

but i think you can drive it with a blown cv joint
thats only in the front
unless your tire is coming off
in that case do a SAS out in the bush
if you get it to the lower mainland let me know
i know a drivetrain guy that i can get you a deal

90toy
08-18-2009, 10:02 PM
i do have a axle but i cant remember if its drivers or passengers as 1 of mine was busted you should be able to get it fixed up fairly cheap and get it back on the go

sanegrrl
08-19-2009, 06:34 AM
The tire is falling off.

I had probably been driving the truck while with the CV joint busted.

I'd run over some fishing line somewhere. Mechanic told me that it was so tangled up, the fishing line had been keeping the tire on.

I did a quick check on Thule crud, and new, the roof rig runs around $700. Factor in age, and one of the bigmouth bike holders needs work, I'd guess the value is around $125 easily.

Maybe that and a case of beer and I can get someone out in the boonies to help with the CV joint. I watched some you tube of bush repairs of cv's.

Mechanics love lube.

-sg

dirka dave
08-19-2009, 02:28 PM
If you can get it into Maple Ridge, I could have a look at it for ya !

barracuda
08-19-2009, 03:07 PM
How much do you want for it cash on the barrel head?

Trailjunkie
08-19-2009, 06:18 PM
sell it and buy a jeep

arjan
09-04-2009, 07:38 AM
sell it and buy a jeep

Go from one project to another :confused0006: :D