PDA

View Full Version : Fender flares for VI

bdgeis
08-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Well, my inspection is almost done... finally. Windshield went in yesterday, picked up a cat I've gotta weld in sometime soon, and picking up some 5.29's and a locker today, because it deserves it. I've got one more questionable item before I can put the decal on it: What's an easy, cheap fix for fender flares on a 2nd gen 4runner? I'm running 35 x 12.5 x 15 boots, they stick out pretty far. Bushwhacker flares are gonna run me almost a grand, there's no way I'm wanting to spend that much. Any thoughts? I don't mind trimming up my rusty panels.

I was thinking of getting a sheet of heavier rubber material and blasting some screws in it. It's cheap, and hard to rip off in the bush... but it'll probably look like shit. Someone recommended getting the landscape divider material - that plastic shit that keeps your lawn from your flower bed... but that'd probably look even worse. Another thought was to try to hunt down some utility trailer fenders and cut them in half - buy two of 'em, trim the fenders, screw them in... I can see that almost looking half decent if I get it right, but it seems like it could be a lot of hassle fitting it and finding the right size, and there's a good chance I'll end up hanging them up in the bush and causing some real damage? That, and it could end up looking too jeep-ish... [16]

Any thoughts on these, or any other ideas would be appreciated. What have you guys done for this, and how do you like what you've done?

Tunabomber
08-15-2009, 01:26 PM
jeep-ish:WTF

bakelite
08-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Big rig, semi's :dontknow: supply places have fender flare material. Rubberized stuff, different styles. [cheers]

You wish it would look jeep-ish :rolleyes:

stylus
08-15-2009, 05:38 PM
go cut up an old tire aha

d0ubledown
08-15-2009, 05:52 PM
garden edging. its what all the cool toyotas are running... ;)

MikeWild
08-15-2009, 07:37 PM
PA sells an assortment of trailer fenders

Zukibuggy
08-15-2009, 11:20 PM
go 1/4 inch rubber belting. 1/2 inch is too heavy

WagoneerXJ
08-16-2009, 11:04 AM
smaller/skinnier tires and rims perhaps?

bdgeis
08-18-2009, 07:11 PM
smaller/skinnier tires and rims perhaps?

...Did I post this on the wrong forum...?

Yeah, I think I'll be trying something along the lines of the 1/4" rubber. Just wanted to see if anyone had any other bright ideas. I kinda like the idea of cutting old tires, haven't seen that one done yet! :D That'd look even better than garden edging!

hrd4mud
08-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Ive done that before swap stock tires on for VI then swap the good ones back as soon as ya drive it home with the decal[cheers]

Moondog
08-18-2009, 09:40 PM
old tire would be the cheapest option slice the tire into 2 pices then cut the pieces in half and attach with 1/4" pop rivets with washers behind them to stop them being pulled out any tire place will give you a worn tire for free [cheers]

nbrowser
08-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Hell we keep our old tires outside the back of our shop....if ya wana go thqat route PM me and I"ll shoot you where my shop is (Vancouver) you can take what ya need but one thing, keep the pile neat n tidy....

keegs
08-18-2009, 11:19 PM
plastic garbage can, slice and roll out, lol, comes in green beige or black, lol, in all honesty, id swap for some skinnier tires. thats what i do, i only put my 35's on on the weekend, just my 2 cents,

ri0
09-01-2009, 07:49 PM
or put something on to get the decal then rip it off as you drive away...dot guys dont give a shit..I got two vi's in 6 months...both times I had flares and mudflaps that where way over sized.

harvester_sorrow
09-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Whats the best way to cut old tires up. I was wanting to go that route on my rig. The store boughts lasted one trip in the tight bush.

89yj
09-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Try getting a couple crazy carpets, cut them up and screw them on. There cheap and easy to work with just alittle hard to find at this time of year. They are light enough to bend when they rub on trees.

clint
09-04-2009, 02:12 PM
on my last yota with 35's i had used a mudflap called "longjohns" they are long edges over the wheel whell, ...with a wide flat black flap below... worked good for me...was a dd with 7" lift and 35"'s for a couple of years...never got stopped. i got them at a local auto parts stor for about 30ish dollars if i recall.... cheap, flexxy, not to ugly, and worked. best way i could think of. worked awesome. i know lordco sells them...those bastards.

dano51
09-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Well, my inspection is almost done... finally. Windshield went in yesterday, picked up a cat I've gotta weld in sometime soon, and picking up some 5.29's and a locker today, because it deserves it. I've got one more questionable item before I can put the decal on it: What's an easy, cheap fix for fender flares on a 2nd gen 4runner? I'm running 35 x 12.5 x 15 boots, they stick out pretty far. Bushwhacker flares are gonna run me almost a grand, there's no way I'm wanting to spend that much. Any thoughts? I don't mind trimming up my rusty panels.

I was thinking of getting a sheet of heavier rubber material and blasting some screws in it. It's cheap, and hard to rip off in the bush... but it'll probably look like shit. Someone recommended getting the landscape divider material - that plastic shit that keeps your lawn from your flower bed... but that'd probably look even worse. Another thought was to try to hunt down some utility trailer fenders and cut them in half - buy two of 'em, trim the fenders, screw them in... I can see that almost looking half decent if I get it right, but it seems like it could be a lot of hassle fitting it and finding the right size, and there's a good chance I'll end up hanging them up in the bush and causing some real damage? That, and it could end up looking too jeep-ish... [16]

Any thoughts on these, or any other ideas would be appreciated. What have you guys done for this, and how do you like what you've done?
ya the last is good princcess auto fenders good deal