PDA

View Full Version : Here's my Jeep's specs: What else should I rip out/change/upgrade? DD

sanegrrl
08-14-2009, 07:16 AM
In the thread about sway bars that are actually track bars, I loved hearing you all talk about what you've done with your Jeeps.. so I thought I'd put the specs in here and see if you balk at anything else, or recommend changes...

1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport

3" ProComp Lift Kit - an add-leaf at the back.
31" BF Goodrich A/T Tires (31" x 10.5" R15)
2 lower fog lights
Bull Bar with 2 ProComp 130 Bush lights installed(8")
K&N Cold Air Intake
Throttle Body Spacer
Upgraded to larger headers
Upgraded to larger engine mounts
Performance Ignition System (larger spark plug wires, distributor cap, ignition coil)
Borla Muffler with stainless steel tip
Flowmaster Catalytic Converter
VanCo Big Brake Kit

Since owning it, we've had to do some brake repair - now golden.

The original owners had installed some ground lighting, which we ripped out right away... all dangly and tangly wires under there didn't seem very smart.

We also had to have some work done on the a/c/heater blower. Same guy who put in the short track bar did the blower work, and did about as good. We still have some wonkiness in there, where the blower tries to default to the defrost vents. Everytime we go uphill, the blower blows out the defrost vents and the a/c stops blowing cold until you take the foot off the gas and coast downhill again. Crazy.

We also have a hole in the tailpipe. Repaired with tape, but I don't think that will last.

There's a rumbly effect that happens if you engage 'drive' gear without letting the Jeep warm up for a minute or two. The gear shift will shake a bit, and the whole Jeep gets a deep, grumbly rumble. This is the technical term, I'm pretty sure. Drop into 1-2 gear and it'll stop immediately, then engage back to 'drive' and no problem.

Finally, some of the wiring to the fog lights is perhaps faulty. We don't think it's the lights themselves, as they were working intermittently. I really need to learn how to trace wiring in a vehicle... for this one and for my other one.

Here's what I know I want for the vehicle:
Priority is the fixes of systems/components
Then:
winch
safari rack (some guy makes 'em with a tail gate part, so you can put a spare and jerry cans on the back, without impeding access to the door itself.)
This Cherokee is all manual window cranks and locks and that, and I'm cool with that.
I'm working on a mosquito netting/tarp set up for sleeping in the back of the Jeep. I've got a prototype functioning. The safari rack concept will impact the 'tent' design, so I'm on hold there.

It is a daily driver, so I'm not looking to outfit the thing for trail only... but def would like advice from long term Jeep owners.

Thanks!!

-sg

Tunabomber
08-14-2009, 08:29 AM
1st make it safe and reliable

2nd add a locker in the rear

a 2 wheel drive truck with 1 rear locker will go almost anywhere a 4x4 will

so just imagine what a 4x4 with a locker can do

however they arnt cheap @ about 1000 bucks installed and a little more for a selectable one.

[cheers]

Apathy
08-14-2009, 09:04 AM
1st make it safe and reliable

2nd add a locker in the rear

a 2 wheel drive truck with 1 rear locker will go almost anywhere a 4x4 will

so just imagine what a 4x4 with a locker can do

however they arnt cheap @ about 1000 bucks installed and a little more for a selectable one.

[cheers]

1000 bucks, put the crack pipe down.

no more than 800

600 for locker, 150 for bearings, and a case of beer to set itup

Lazybaka
08-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Put a Borla header on and get it coated by redi-hot
it reduces the under hood temps and there is a rear disk
brake kit by tear-flex

just my 2 cents

Apathy
08-14-2009, 09:14 AM
what rear end is in it?
I would only lock it if its a D44.

and also change out the frong D30 for a D44

Tunabomber
08-14-2009, 10:04 AM
1000 bucks, put the crack pipe down.

no more than 800

600 for locker, 150 for bearings, and a case of beer to set itup

ok 800 american

D-Ass
08-14-2009, 10:36 AM
$1can=$.909us:mad0217:

dirka dave
08-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Change it to a Toyota.

Chopstick
08-14-2009, 02:08 PM
get rid of the add a leaf in the back and get a proper leaf pack or go rubiconexpress.com and get one of those lifts... they ride so much smoother

Apathy
08-14-2009, 02:16 PM
People have been having issues with RE lately. the springs are now being made in india.

UU
08-14-2009, 04:52 PM
gotta have a snorkle

dirka dave
08-14-2009, 05:15 PM
gotta have a snorkle

and an advocato and an icepick..:WTF [stoned]

Explorer guy418
08-14-2009, 08:03 PM
lincoln lock the rear.

Happypants
08-14-2009, 10:45 PM
definitly weld the rear, spend the money on a front locker

nbrowser
08-14-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm not seeing sway-bar disconnects in the specs, I'd suggest a pair of those for the front sway bar, if it's got a rear sway bar, simply remove that completely, with the combo of no bar in the back and the front disconnected, your XJ will wheel quite nicely as is....I'm speaking from experience.

sanegrrl
08-18-2009, 06:26 AM
what rear end is in it?
I would only lock it if its a D44.

and also change out the frong D30 for a D44

I haven't been given any info that it isn't stock.
According to wiki, a 97 xj could have:
Dana 35, c-clip, ABS or
Chrysler 8.25", c-clip, non-ABS, 29-spline axleshafts.

Do you mind educating me on how to tell what I have?

-sg

sanegrrl
08-18-2009, 06:28 AM
I'm not seeing sway-bar disconnects in the specs, I'd suggest a pair of those for the front sway bar, if it's got a rear sway bar, simply remove that completely, with the combo of no bar in the back and the front disconnected, your XJ will wheel quite nicely as is....I'm speaking from experience.

And still have good pavement and daily driving performance? This one has to leave the trail on Monday night and get to work on Tuesday morning. :)

Lazybaka
08-18-2009, 07:30 AM
There is url with pictures of the rear axles you can use to identify which one you have , and the swaybar disconnects you take off in the forest and put back on when you get back to pavemnt

Happypants
08-18-2009, 04:06 PM
if its a 97 its gonna be a chrysler 8.25, just look under the truck, if its ovalized and has a rubber fill plug its a d35 if its octagon shaped, like a stop sign its a 8.25