PDA

View Full Version : BC'n you in the backcountry! (New Member Post)

sanegrrl
08-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Fun in British Columbia *is* what I'm all about!

I try to get out into the BC backcountry as much as possible, and have explored around the Lower Mainland general area for the last two summers. (The Duffy or the The Hurley start my adventures, and we usually only get to go another 100 or so KM in a trip.. have to be back in town for work.. sigh.)

My beau, the fisherman, tries to set us up with fish while I forage for wild edibles.

Some examples: Last weekend I was at Little Big Bar Lake near Clinton. The weekend before that was Abbott Lake near Merritt.

The fleet:

The '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport is in fine shape (lifted, some performance upgrades).
The '75 Chevy Scottsdale (heavily modified) is in the shop, but should be coming out this week, ready for action.

I'm considering converting it back to gas from propane. (It has older spit-valves, which are a pain in the behind to have fueled... I'm definitely looking for experienced folks in this area for advice and whathaveyou.)

Looking forward to sharing tips for remote locations, fishing and foraging!

Mudgirl
08-11-2009, 01:06 PM
:welcome:

great first post!!

Was just up Duffy last weekend - beautiful area (but really where in BC isn't :dontknow:)

hope ta see ya on the trails

sanegirl eh :confused0006:
i'd say watch out for the crazies but that is most of us so watch out for the drooling boys and girls looking for titty pics

sanegrrl
08-11-2009, 01:21 PM
FYI: The Jeep is his.
This is mine. ;) It's called "The Bully"

'Balmer
08-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Cool camp rig and a great 1st post. I'm looking forward to meeting you out on the trails! Comin' to the newb run?

Flashless
08-11-2009, 01:34 PM
welcome!!

FKN MRK
08-11-2009, 01:36 PM
[cheers]

dirka dave
08-11-2009, 01:44 PM
I think the site filled up yesterday, sorry.

sanegrrl
08-11-2009, 01:44 PM
As it goes, I haven't taken too many shots of the inside... I guess because it's just the power inverter, the beds, and the fridge in there.

But, here you get to see me being very excited about produce. (Do not be mislead by my misnomer of a moniker, Mudgirl. I'm hardly square.)

I'd like to build a small coffee table-like thing in there to make the bed go across the entire area, instead of having the two twins. That'd be more fun, for sure!

Thanks for the warm welcome! And I'm interested in the newb-run! But I haven't been able to read the details of the post yet, due to my newbieishness. ?? Heehee.

FKN MRK
08-11-2009, 01:45 PM
I think the site filled up yesterday, sorry.

[cheers] we could always give you the boot and make room:dontknow:

:D [f]

dirka dave
08-11-2009, 01:47 PM
I juess so....

But where who would be the the "nice pics guy" ?

Mudgirl
08-11-2009, 01:55 PM
nice pics!
(so do i get the job?) - just bugging Dave

cool looking rig - thanks for posting the inside pics!

the newbie run is next weekend the link is at the top of the page

'Balmer
08-11-2009, 01:57 PM
I love a woman who's good with a zuccini.

bakelite
08-11-2009, 03:36 PM

Happypants
08-11-2009, 04:35 PM
welcome to the site, looks like your a little excited about the zucchini in your hands there, lol, the newbie run is aug-23rd but the "pre-run" is the 22nd, basically a shit show the night before, the mud drags are this coming weekend,

post up some pics of the heep, and i like that old scottsdale, wicked setup you got there but i would put it on 33`s at least and a winch to get to more remote areas, but thats just me,

welcome to the site,

Metal Mulisha
08-11-2009, 08:05 PM

Trailjunkie
08-11-2009, 08:21 PM
i love a woman who love's her produce. welcome to the show. pics of the jeep and more of yourself please

Happypants
08-11-2009, 08:51 PM
i love a woman who love's her produce. welcome to the show. pics of the jeep and more of yourself please

lmfao, doug you dirty old man hahaha:party0010: :party0010: :D

coreyg8
08-12-2009, 11:44 AM
haha this could get good drama

sanegrrl
08-13-2009, 08:05 AM
welcome to the site, looks like your a little excited about the zucchini in your hands there, lol, the newbie run is aug-23rd but the "pre-run" is the 22nd, basically a shit show the night before, the mud drags are this coming weekend,

Man... I am trying to talk my man into the idea, but two things might stop us. 1. His photography exhibit has a special night on the 21st... and 2. I need to get the Bully to a propane expert regarding upgrading the spit-valves, which means going to Burnaby, which I wanna do soon so I can take it on a long birthday trip in Sept.

post up some pics of the heep, and i like that old scottsdale, wicked setup you got there but i would put it on 33`s at least and a winch to get to more remote areas, but thats just me,

The Bully sports an 8k wench in the front and a 10k wench in the back. I have yet to use them, but wish to learn. Do any of you guys teach wenches to wench? I'd love to pull 'em both out and see what's what, so that I can feel more confident with it in the really remote areas.

RE: the tires... this is definitely an area I'd love to hear some debate... when I picked this jobbie up a couple of years ago, my initial thought was to beef up on the tires. But a couple of logging truckers I know told me that the steel radials will take me anywhere... I suspect mud was not factored into that equation. The Kumho 954's are billed as summer tires, however, and I wonder what that means for winter driving.

Anyway - I'd love to hear what you guys think about the truck tire vs the wheeler tire for something like the this camp rig.

A couple of other details: ride rite helper springs: 9" air bags and air-compressor under da hood.

Pics of Jeep imminent.

-sg

sanegrrl
08-13-2009, 09:31 AM
So, here you see the Cherokee in a couple of different environments. It was an urban-dweller's daily driver for 14 years until we picked it up in May this year. It's the bf's daily driver now.

There are some nice exciting pics here too... The bf recently spent several days in a row in the area near Tenquille and the Hurley, helping friends of ours protect their home. A couple of these pics are from the property or just near it about 2 weeks ago.

For what it is worth, everything is much calmer now. No new fires and we've had some rain for the last couple of days. Seriously great news around here.

Mudgirl
08-13-2009, 10:55 AM
crazy pics of the fire - is that from the one up near goldbridge in June?

Pudge
08-13-2009, 11:09 AM
nice Jeep, welcome

dirka dave
08-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Wicked shots of the fire !

sanegrrl
08-13-2009, 01:23 PM
crazy pics of the fire - is that from the one up near goldbridge in June?

Mudgirl, the fire shots are from July 31-Aug 4th 2009, from about 22km northwest of Pemberton. That mountain you can see burning is Camel's Back, I think... Nearby, the Tenquille fires and Copper Mound fires were most threatening to this area.

These fires are separate from the Lillooet fires (Mt. Mclean?), and also different from the Goldbridge fires..the Tyaughton area fires.. which is what I think you are probably talking about? Access into Mud and Schwartz Lakes area?

I saw a crapton of 4x4s at Schwartz 2 years ago, so there must be some good runs out there. Hoped to go back, but those fires kayboshed my plan.

Happypants
08-13-2009, 02:35 PM
second last pic is wicked looking, nice jeep for sure, im not much of a teacher for wrenching cause i learned it all on my own but i dunno if you wanna stand around and ask questions, mabey you will get lucky and ill break my truck on the trail somewhere lol

Always broke
08-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Great first post welcome to the site