PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen front axle question

WestCoastMoose
07-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Well with 372,000 k's, the front axles/c/v's on my 90 4runner are going. Heard them clatter after doing Davis from the top way a couple weeks ago. Wanting to upgrade/ strengthen without just putting in used parts.
So of course most guys here know whats best and out there for these trucks.
Also is there an aftermarket coilover front shock for these trucks?
[cheers] in advance
Dave

Arnee
07-21-2009, 10:20 PM
just sas it. cousin bought the ifs lift a year ago to fix all his stock broken shit. this week were going to pick up the sas kit. its just not worth the money to lift it. but it also depends on how much you wheel it.

dirka dave
07-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Sas swap if you are going to do some serious wheeling...

Ther is a ton of aftermarket IFS stuff too, if you are going to keep it as a DD and just do mild wheeling.

Check out all pro.com and downey off road.com.

Since you are in Ridge, like me, Go and pick the Bryson's brain at Jeep thrills.

Arnee
07-21-2009, 10:54 PM
and bring MGD for some reason he works faster with a case of beer infront of him

WestCoastMoose
07-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Its stayin as IFS. I will pick up a 4runner later on that has the SAS done, at least thats the plan. Mild wheelin is all I'll be doin with this one.
Thanks guys, will check these out.

Jayota
08-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Downey offroad just went belly up. Owner posted a note on july 31st.

Their phones and tech lines are down and their site is now down. RIP Downey 1970-2009

The rattle you hear might be the CV's rattling inside the nuckle... Those stupid needle bushings..

dirka dave
08-11-2009, 01:30 PM
That sucks, they had a lot of cool stuff.

Jayota
08-12-2009, 11:58 PM
THey did, I heard they are in negotiations with a few other companys that want to continue production of some of their products.

d0ubledown
08-13-2009, 12:29 AM
no coilovers since its a torsion bar setup. only real upgrade worth doing is a swap. everything else is just a band aid. swap the cv's for new/used/reman'd ones..and get used to it.

also, if you havent already...put some manual hubs on there. its a bolt on swap...and itll save the life of those joints.

too bad about downey. they had some good product. their 3rd gen 4runner CO kit with the billies was killer...much better than any ome stuff.

Jayota
08-19-2009, 03:45 PM
IFS is great. The weakest link is the idler. Stick with 33" tires or less and you're golden... Lock it front and rear and you will go as far as you want. Flex is overrated!

I can do mild crawling, mix of trails, mudding (ugh the cleanup!) and still drive my truck 150km/h up north on a vacation :) And then go back to DD it :)

SFA rids like poo... unless you link it.

I mean lets face it, stock v stock sfa and ifs are pretty much even in strength and flex... By the time you have done a SAS you have upgraded most of the weak links in the sfa, so if you put some of that money into IFS, you would have eliminated the stock weak links. Steering, bracing the rear control arms etc...

Arnee
08-19-2009, 05:57 PM
i want wat your smoking cause your out to lunch.

WestCoastMoose
08-20-2009, 09:40 PM
no coilovers since its a torsion bar setup. only real upgrade worth doing is a swap. everything else is just a band aid. swap the cv's for new/used/reman'd ones..and get used to it.

also, if you havent already...put some manual hubs on there. its a bolt on swap...and itll save the life of those joints.

too bad about downey. they had some good product. their 3rd gen 4runner CO kit with the billies was killer...much better than any ome stuff.

Aisin manual hubs went in @ 325,000 km, so by then the PO had taken the life outta them axles.
Although we don't do anything extreme, I can say that this truck is always being used for more than DD.
I may try something a bit different and see how it goes. Will post what I did when I do it.:rolleyes: