PDA

View Full Version : Canopy and 4x4ing

Craist
07-21-2009, 08:11 AM
I was told that it is a bad idea to do any 4x4in with a canopy. I am not looking to do any extreme 4x4ing, would like to go places like sunrise lake, hale creek, etc. Supposedly any flex in the bed will crack the canopy. I think the little bit I will do will be fine, but thought I would gather some other opinions before I shell out 2200 bucks just to destroy it. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tunabomber
07-21-2009, 08:28 AM
would think that as long as the truck/box is in good shape you would be ok BUT i would still keep a eye on the cab flexing into the canopy when you flex out the truck.

i have seen some trucks cabs get dented from the box alone

would also consider not spending 2 grand on something yer gonna end up getting bc pin stripes all over

Craist
07-21-2009, 08:50 AM
but without the pinstripes it wouldn't match the truck :rolleyes:. and I can't find a used one for the life of me.

str8ghtpipes
07-21-2009, 02:34 PM
most canopys sit super close to the cab to make it look mmore like a burban so you have to make sure theres room for flex and meber that it needs more space at the top then at the botom cuz its multiplyed bythe distance of the bending object

str8ghtpipes
07-21-2009, 02:36 PM
you can do whatever you want most guys say you can 4x4 with a trailer but i have seen guys do moab with no problems its all how you have it set up

dirka dave
07-21-2009, 03:11 PM
I have a long box toyota and usually run a canopy in the winter, no problems.

well...... I have smashed out a few side windows, blown out the rear hatch.

I also have a set of "boat bars" that help protect it.

Apathy
07-21-2009, 03:56 PM
wonder how that latch got smashed?

barracuda
07-21-2009, 04:39 PM
get an old school canopy they normally have a bigger gap between the cab and you can very often find them free or cheap so it doesnt hurt when you damage them(and you will) .

thats all i got but what do i know :dontknow:

Craist
07-21-2009, 06:02 PM
great info thanks for all the replies. I can't find and older one, been looking for a few weeks, and gonna need one soon.

harvester_sorrow
07-21-2009, 08:01 PM
I do a lot of light wheeling and gravel roads with my canopy on. 2 years and no problems yet other then the crappy tape that seals it to the truck slowly migrates out. But i own an import and they don't frame flex as much as a domestic. Sure makes camping easier.

longhorn
07-21-2009, 08:05 PM
great info thanks for all the replies. I can't find and older one, been looking for a few weeks, and gonna need one soon.

What kind of truck do you have?
Lots of old canopys around here for 50 bucks or so.

dirka dave
07-21-2009, 11:25 PM
wonder how that latch got smashed?

GEEE I WONDER !!???:D

BTW, I have an alumium one in the freebe section...

Troy
07-22-2009, 12:26 AM
But i own an import and they don't frame flex as much as a domestic. Sure makes camping easier.

uh huh

everything sounded good till you said that:rolleyes:

B
07-22-2009, 12:56 AM
carnage on a canopy is guaranteed ive done in a few and a camper for that matter ... id say a 1000 would be my cap on taking the chance every time you go out but it depends how tame you can keep yourself lol the fsr's really help loosen clamps and bolt's ask me how i know lol losing windows was a regular occurrence as well

hmmm my canopy pics are bmp's don't know how to make them jpegs sorry :dontknow:

[cheers]

Troy
07-22-2009, 01:44 AM
fuck ya rollin 44's and camper [36]

Craist
07-22-2009, 08:42 AM
ya i have searched the forums for a used one, many times. I own a 2005 toyota tundra access cab and it has an odd sized box on it. Thanks for all the replies, I am going to pick a canopy up soon.

Crack
07-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Just make sure the clamps are always tight too if you do it.
Back when I had a ranger I was doing some night wheeling. Went up a trail... came back down and there was a black canopy sitting in the middle of it. Me and my buddy we laughing at the idiot who lost his canopy... then realized it was mine.:rolleyes:

atoyot
07-22-2009, 10:01 AM
wheeled all my trucks witha canopy at some point my for has always had one does make stuff tighter and i have lost windows but cracking and stuff unless u hit something your good to go!!!

surreysinner
07-22-2009, 11:10 AM
my canopy cracked in the center from wheeling and i have no flex. Oh well though its got character now.

Shera
07-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Our old dodge power wagon short box,we use to wheel lots of times years ago and had an alunumim canopy which we did have problems with later of rivets poppiing and stress factures